[CANUFNET] Stem Girdling Roots

Julian Dunster via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Wed Aug 1 14:27:10 EDT 2018

I do not think there is a maximum size limit. Girdling root removal
needs to be done carefully. Locate the root and expose it it back at the
place where it might be cut. If necessary use an AirSpade to reveal the
root free from dirt (but don't go hog wild and blow away all the dirt in
the area, only what you need to remove to see the roots ) -- or hand dig
and brush away dirt around the roots. Then carefully cut it and any
small roots attached and lift it out of the way of the trunk.  Any part
embedded in other roots should be partially chiseled out but avoid
damage to the underlying live wood. Any part of it not affecting the
trunk or other roots may be left in place unless that is the part
lifting the sidewalk. Trees can survive with a remarkably small amount
of fine roots, so you need to consider the structural roots affecting
likelihood of failure, and biological roots affecting health and
survival. If the tree is otherwise healthy rerouting the sidewalk may be
a viable option. The most likely source of damage will be the sidewalk
slab removal and any new landscaping work afterwards. The roots under
the sidewalk are likely (based on photographs shown) to be structural
rather than biological. The finer biologically important roots may
actually be on the far side of the existing slab, right where the new
sidewalk is planned.

There may be no need to purchase the land. Register an easement on it
for the sidewalk that stays in affect until such time as the tree dies
and is removed. The easement might lapse if and when the tree is removed
and can be replaced, at which time the sidewalk could be relocated if
the landowner no longer wishes to see the easement in place. Might be
cheaper than purchase, and purchase might reduce lot size below other
thresholds. For example, a minimum lot size for setbacks in the event of
new development etc.

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

North American distributor for Rinntech
www.dunster.ca