[CANUFNET] Stem Girdling Roots

Alison Bond via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Thu Aug 2 15:42:36 EDT 2018

Thanks Jim and to everyone else who has responded!

I'm not feeling all that confident about removing that root.  I think
it is the one heaving the sidewalk.  The tree is well within striking
distance of a house.

The University of Maryland suggests notching a girdling root so that it
is weaker (less resistance for the growing trunk?) but still
translocating and providing some strength.  Has anyone had success with
this approach?
(https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/girdling-roots-trees-and-shrubs)

Regards,
Alison

Alison Bond BSc MSc BLA   OALA  CSLA
Landscape Architect and Certified Arborist

ENVISION-TATHAM Inc.
115 Sandford Fleming Drive, Suite 200, Collingwood, L9Y 5A6
abond at envision-tatham.com I  Tel: 705.445.0422  I  Fax: 705.444.2327  I
 Cell: 705.994.2059 I   www.envision-tatham.com

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information for
the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by
others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

>>> james urban via CANUFNET <canufnet at list.web.net> 8/1/2018 9:31 PM

Julian

I removed large 3-4” diam girdling roots from about 40 lindens that
were about 12-15”dbh.  The roots were very invloved, in some cases
completly circling the trunk and as much as 2” enbedded in the trunk.
Most trees were starting to decline.  All trees leafed out the next
spring and looked great.  In mid summer a T storm rolled thru and
snapped off almost every one right at the point where the girdling root
was embedded.  Lost the entire planting.   Oh well!!

Jim Urban

On Aug 1, 2018, at 2:27 PM, Julian Dunster via CANUFNET