[CANUFNET] Pruning Wound Treatment

Michael Richardson via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Wed Aug 8 15:07:57 EDT 2018

A cut this large is never likely to "heal" or occlude as mentioned.

What will occur is that the large wound will allow unspecialized
colonization fungi to attack the newly exposed wood as water content drops
and oxygen levels increase.  The removal of a large limb such as this may
also cause the death of a column of xylem and phloem that was connecting
the limb to the roots system.  Further any heart rot that may be in the
area may suddenly increase in its decay aggression as oxygen is made
available (it is worth remembering that heart rots arising within wood not
exposed to outside oxygen do not cause the formation of CODIT wall 4).

No covering or sealant is likely to have a significant impact on the
progression of decay in a wound this large.

Too bad the massive cut was made in the first place.

Michael