[CANUFNET] High precision (+/- 10cm) tree location

Scott Fairley via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Nov 6 13:07:16 EST 2018

The only device I’ve ever used that can get sub metre accuracy under tree canopy is the Trimble Geo 7x, as it has a built in laser rangefinder which can shoot under the tree crown to provide an offset from an accurate GPS reading. I have one and it works great, but the windows mobile 6.5 software is starting to feel very dated.

There may be other solutions that can provide a laser offset via a rangefinder linked to the GPS unit with Bluetooth, but I haven’t much experience with them. Arcpad can do this, but you’re back to the issue of generally using windows mobile again.

Best

Scott

Scott Fairley MA(landarch) MSc(for) LMLI M.arbor.A
consulting arborist|landscape designer

American Society of Consulting Arborists Member
PNWISA Chapter Member
ISA Certified Arborist UI-1192A
TRAQ Tree Risk Assessor
UK Licentiate Landscape Architect
UK Professional Member of the Arboricultural Association
UK Professional Tree Risk Assessor (PTI) LANTRA Awards

email: scott at treesandlandscape.com
web: www.treesandlandscape.com
Tel: 1-(778)-583-6098