[CANUFNET] Tree By-law cash-in-lieu funds

Eric Wilde eric.wilde at esquimalt.ca
Tue Jun 25 13:15:49 EDT 2019

Hello,
When trees are removed from private property in Esquimalt we collect a $300 ‘deposit’ (per replacement tree) from the residents as a way to ensure replacement trees are put back onto private properties.
If they plant an appropriate tree species back on their property, and have kept the tree alive for a period of 1 year, they get the deposit returned.
If they elect not to plant on their property, then the Parks Dept. keeps their deposit(s) and uses that money to plant/replace boulevard trees in the public realm.

For example, if the homeowner needs to replant 3 replacement trees at $300 each, …….. but can only fit 1 replacement tree in their yard. Then out of a $900 deposit we would return $300 to the home owner, and keep $600 for use in the public realm.

Generally, the funds collected are used primarily for the cost of the tree and associated materials (staked, mulch etc..) on for installation on public lands.
I don’t believe the funds cover labour costs, or any maintenance of trees.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric Wilde
Arborist II
Township of Esquimalt | Parks Services
Tel: 1-250-412-8527 |  www.esquimalt.ca<http://www.esquimalt.ca>
[Esquimalt Website]<http://www.esquimalt.ca>    [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/TownshipofEsquimalt/>      [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/esquimaltbc>     [YouTube] <https://www.youtube.com/user/TownshipofEsquimalt>

This message is intended only for the designated recipients and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or acting on their behalf, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Please consider the environment before printing this email.