[CANUFNET] Tree By-law cash-in-lieu funds

Naomi Zurcher treerap at sprintmail.com
Wed Jun 26 10:12:22 EDT 2019

Dear Astrid and Debra:

Many thanks for your recognition of the need to value trees from a more complete perspective. It doesn’t matter where the tree is, all trees matter and any loss of a healthy tree is a loss, not only to the immediate community but to all of us wherever we are.

That said, in your discussions on this complex issue, I would like to suggest that, in your deliberations of what should be considered when arriving at a final strategy, that you also consider the loss to Ecosystem Services benefits - today and into the future and in order to do that in a well-documented manner, you consider the use of I-Tree Eco in order to incorporate everything the tree mitigates and improves at this very moment and from a forecast point of view..

Best wishes
Naomi

> [...]
>>
>> I have had the pleasure of meeting many municipal staff working in forestry across Ontario, and Canada, and every single one understands very well the numerous benefits that trees provide to us. In their jobs, they advocate for trees tirelessly on a regular basis to other municipal staff, councillors, public, developers, contractors, etc. They are not the ones that need to be educated on how important trees are in our cities.
>>
>> The question of how much compensation is not an easy one. Although we believe that the monetary value of a tree may be quite high, it must be balanced with the practical. If compensation is too high, infractions may become a more tempting option. In the by-law world, an infraction is considered a failure, not a success. The ideal compensation value for private trees should be one that is: realistic for those that are removing trees; sufficient to replace the lost canopy (over the long term); and high enough to act as an incentive for tree retention.
>>
>> Astrid
>> Astrid Nielsen, MFC
>> Ontario Registered Professional Forester
>> ISA Certified Arborist®
>>
>> astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca <mailto:astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca>
>> +1.613.805.WOOD (9663)
>>
>> www.dendronforestry <http://www.dendronforestry.ca/>
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 2:33 PM Debra Huron via CANUFNET <canufnet at list.web.net <mailto:canufnet at list.web.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> I feel that many of our cities may be shortchanging their coffers, and failing to fully capture the value of trees by focusing on the kinds of nuts and bolts things that Eric has mentioned, such as <<the cost of the tree and associated materials (staked, mulch etc..) on for installation on public lands.  I don’t believe the funds cover labour costs, or any maintenance of trees.>>
>>
>> In Ottawa, I learned that the city may be defining the value of a destroyed tree on private property based on its "lumber value." This is almost laughable since it is unlikely that anyone will be using the tree for lumber, and because, during a time of climate crisis, staff in urban centres across Canada surely must know that the value of trees must include some or all of the following factors. (The example below refers to "street trees" but provides a model that could be amended for trees on private property.) Source:  https://treenet.org/resources/the-economic-value-of-trees-in-urban-areas-estimating-the-benefits-of-adelaides-street-trees/ <https://treenet.org/resources/the-economic-value-of-trees-in-urban-areas-estimating-the-benefits-of-adelaides-street-trees/>
>>
>>> The core benefits street trees provide can be captured as follows:

>>> E = annual price of energy savings (cooling and heating);
>>> Q = annual price of air quality improvement( pollutant uptake and avoided power plant emissions);
>>> C = annual price of carbon dioxide reductions;
>>> H = annual price of stormwater runoff reductions;
>>> P = annual price of property value and related benefits;
> [...]
>>> A suggested formula for estimating annual costs is:
>>> C = M+T+R+D+I+S+L+A
>> The article cited above describes in greater detail what "C" constitutes.
>>
>> May I urge staff in Canadian cities to develop "in lieu" policies that assess costs based on the benefits lost when trees, especially big trees, are taken out of the urban canopy?
>>
>> Every city in the country is facing infrastructure decline and a heavier load on infrastructure due to climate crisis. Those who choose  destroy trees (after duly gaining a permit to do so from their municipality) need to pay for MANY MORE of the costs involved in that destruction.
>>
>> May I share something I learned yesterday? In the ward where I live just west of downtown Ottawa, intensification has created many flat-roofed residences that allow NO rainwater to reach the ground.  Intensification mandates that two "shoebox" house can be built on a lot where previously only one house (often a bungalow) existed. Clearcutting of trees on the property is the first order of business when a builder acquires such a property.  The flat roofs on these houses are equipped with pipes that funnel all rainwater directly into the city's stormwater sewers.  Because the combined footprint of the buildings is so large, there is essentially no room for trees on the finished property. Ottawa as a municipality is gaining extra tax revenue thanks to the high sq. footage of each property and it's a good thing this is so, because the burden these shoeboxes put on the stormsewers is likely to cost the city tremendously over time.  Trees that were destroyed so the shoeboxes could be built, and the lack of space to plant new trees of any size (shrubs are the norm, as are rock gardens and astroturf), mean that the mitigating role they can play in sucking up rainwater no longer figures into the equation.  This is surely a cost that the municipality bears going forward. It's a cost that I urge municipalities to include when determining what it costs to do business after the clear cutting is over, and when permeable surfaces are destroyed due to planning policies such as intensification.
>>
>> best wishes, Debra
>>

>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Debra Isabel Huron
>> Here I am...
>> living on unceded
>> Algonquin territory
>> living with the reality
>> of climate crisis
>> living with rivers & trees
>> & sun & lakes & birds
>> Phone: 613 859-8049

>>> City of Courtenay implements the same way (same $300 security (or deposit), same 1 year re-planting date requirement) with a provision in our Tre Bylaw that if no planting occurs by one year post permit issuance that the City can deposit the security funds into the reserve fund.

>>> image001.jpg
>>> image002.jpg
>>> image003.jpg