[CANUFNET] Tree Planting Programs

Ann Marie Farrugia annmarie.farrugia at richmondhill.ca
Fri Nov 8 10:13:30 EST 2019

Good morning.  Sorry for the late reply on this.  The City of Richmond Hill supports several tree programs that provide access for residents to native trees and plants for their own private properties as well as community tree plantings on public lands:

Through the Community Stewardship Program<https://www.richmondhill.ca/en/things-to-do/Community-Stewardship-Program-and-Tree-Planting.aspx> (established 1998 - funding by operating) staff work with agencies and community volunteers to improve the local environment on public land through activities such as tree planting, natural area stewardship, and stream restoration.  To support this work we also have a tree planting monitoring and maintenance program which involves capturing baseline data and then going back to visit 2 and 5 years after the planting.  Information collected is used to inform maintenance and stewardship such as watering, mulching and pulling weeds.

Through our Healthy Yards Program<https://www.richmondhill.ca/en/find-or-learn-about/Trees-and-Yards-Healthy-Yards.aspx?_mid_=284> we offer residents the opportunity to purchase native trees, shrubs, and perennial flowers at a subsidized rate.  Plants are pre-ordered through Shopify in the spring and distributed at the City's Public Works open house in May.  We also sell rain barrels and composters at the event and give out free wood chips.

Through a partnership between Richmond Hill, York Region and LEAF (Local Enhancement And Appreciation Of Forests), residents can also purchase trees through LEAF's Backyard Tree Planting Program<https://www.yourleaf.org/homeowners>. The program offers subsidized tree services for private yards and includes onsite consultation with an arborist and full tree planting services.

Lastly, we also have a tree dedication program called "Celebration Forest" which provides residents with the opportunity to have a native tree planted in honour/memoriam of a loved one at a local conservation area called Phyllis Rawlinson Park<https://www.richmondhill.ca/en/things-to-do/Phyllis-Rawlinson-Park.aspx>.

Ann Marie

Ann Marie Farrugia, B.E.S., MA.Sc., ISA, EP

Manager of Natural Environment

Corporate Asset Management & Environment Services  |  Environment & Infrastructure Services

905-771-5509 |  annmarie.farrugia at richmondhill.ca |    RichmondHill.ca