[CANUFNET] Tree Maintenance Cycles and the Effect on Growth and Rotation

Ryan Senechal ryansenechal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 14:29:49 EST 2020

Picking up on Mark's sentiments, I would suggest doing some fact finding on
how the rubber meets the road with existing municipal cyclical pruning
programs in your region.  This means some observation of cyclical
maintenance artifacts sited at different levels of occupancy, and talking
with field staff/contractors and urban forestry operations planners.
Finding the right amount of plan to generate positive outcomes on public
trees including useful life expectancy, risk management and cost
effectiveness should give consideration to the depth of your operation's
resources and its ability to effectively introduce and meet targets.

Formulaic pruning prescriptions and cycles look great from a desk, and are
useful for reporting quantified outcomes.  Whether the reported cyclical
pruning outcomes are beneficial or not (as Mark Carroll described in
detail) in many cases is in question, and question them I will because
resources are precious.  Fixing criteria on pruning cycle treatments in
terms of live branches removed as a percentage, and in many cases
predetermining structural defect treatments are not reflective of the
conditional variances that should be considered across species/age/sites by
a competent field technician.  Many ops planners are determined to whip
field technicians into shape on pruning criteria that runs contrary to
industry standards and is counter-intuitive to the tech's arboricultural
training and experience (that being applying the appropriate amount of dose
for the condition).  Put more bluntly, field technicians are not wrong to
push back against cookie-cutter urban forest management.

Urban forest operations planners would be wise to create a detailed
cyclical pruning plan with a separate simplified field guideline that can
be used as a training and reference resource.
I would emphasize that the path to positive outcomes (given all the other
demands on your department's resources) is equal parts planning, training,
measurement, adjust, repeat.  If you're encountering repeating
frustrations, something is out of balance and it's probably originating
from the plan.  The field guidelines and effective training of everyone
involved is the step that is often missed.  Creating dozens of pages of
policy and procedures that no reasonable field technician will ever read
raises profound questions about modern urban forest management.  These
types of programs take skilled internal field technicians away from
important and diverse urban forestry functions to become box-ticking
contractor quality control robots.

Summarized, an effective cyclical pruning program establishes goals and
priorities, and evolves based on ongoing observations and technician
feedback rather than picking an interval out of thin air or from another
climatic region.  An inventory is helpful in planning an effective cyclical
pruning program as is having an understanding of public risk priorities
across different occupied areas.  Preventative cyclical pruning on young
trees through establishment on a short cycle is as important as managing
your aging stock with mitigation through end-of-life extension treatments.
Embedding local knowledge of species including typical response to pruning,
common defects, and failure profile for existing young and mature trees
would be worthwhile.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Senechal
Assistant Supervisor of Urban Forestry – Large Tree Specialty
Arboriculture and Natural Areas
Parks & Recreation
City of Victoria

*T* 250.361.0440    *F* 250.361.0615
rsenechal at victoria.ca

--
Ryan Senechal
Municipal Field Arborist/Arboriculture Instructor/Arboriculture Health &