[CANUFNET] Sugar Maple Decline Bancroft Ontario near Algonquin park

C. Kavassalis c.kavassalis at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 09:40:02 EDT 2020

I am a volunteer with  the Master Gardeners of Ontario and field
questions from across Ontario. I received a desperate request from an
individual in the Bancroft area regarding managed maple forest in
decline. Canopy dieback, heavy insect damage including caterpillars,
weevils, and aphids, along with mites and disease pressures seem to be
occurring.

In the one photo provided, I can observe two species of weevils (one
appears to be Phyllobius oblongus - European Snout Beetle), a green
aphid issue (with associated honeydew), some minor leaf miner
activity, eriophyid mites with what may be erineum galls, minor leaf
spots, a leaf roller, and webbing from unknown source (possibly mite).
He reports additional caterpillar activity, which I presume are gypsy
moths as they are widely reported in the region this year.

He is unable to find anyone in the area to provide him support and advice.

Based on my reading, I have advised soil testing with particular
attention given to phosphorus levels and potential  imbalances in Ca,
Al, Mg and Mn. If consistent with soil tests, I have recommended
liming based on recent article by Moore (2020).

If open land is adjacent to the maple stand, I have also recommended
creating a meadow buffer to support natural predators like lacewings
and parasitic wasps to help control the aphids and insect pest
populations.

Please let me know if this advice is sound and what other measures
this individual might take. Could you recommend advisors or
consultants in the Bancroft area that might assist this landowner?

Thank you for your attention to this inquiry.

Best Regards,
Catherine Kavassalis
Master Gardeners of Ontario
MGOI.ca
Admin. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MasterGardenersofOntario/

A few of the articles I have reviewed:

Bal, T. L., Storer, A.J., Jurgensen, M.F. et al. (2015). Nutrient
stress predisoses and contributes to sugar maple dieback across its
northern range: a review. Forestry 88: 64-83

McLaughlin D.L., Linzon S.N., Dimma D.E., McIlveen W.D. (1987) Sugar
Maple Decline in Ontario. In: Hutchinson T.C., Meema K.M. (eds)
Effects of Atmospheric Pollutants on Forests, Wetlands and
Agricultural Ecosystems. NATO ASI Series (Series G: Ecological
Sciences), vol 16. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
https://link.springer.com/cha.../10.1007/978-3-642-70874-9_7

Moore, Jean-David & Duchesne, Louis & Ouimet, Rock & Deschênes,
Marie-Lou. (2020). Liming improves sap characteristics of sugar maple
over the long term. Forest Ecology and Management. 464. 118044.
10.1016/j.foreco.2020.118044.

McKenney, Daniel & PEDLAR, JOHN & LAWRENCE, KEVIN & CAMPBELL, KATHY &
Hutchinson, M.F.. (2007). Potential Impacts of Climate Change on the
Distribution of North American Trees. BioScience. 57. 939-948.
10.1641/B571106.

OMAFRA. Beneficial Insects in Tree Fruit Orchards in Southern Ontario
www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/96-029.htm

Tara L. Bal, Andrew J. Storer, Martin F. Jurgensen. Evidence of damage
from exotic invasive earthworm activity was highly correlated to sugar
maple dieback in the Upper Great Lakes region. Biological Invasions,
2017; DOI: 10.1007/s10530-017-1523-0