[CANUFNET] Sugar Maple Decline Bancroft Ontario near Algonquin park

Michael Richardson mrtree at kos.net
Mon Jul 6 09:43:52 EDT 2020

This gentleman needs some in the field help.  There are any number of
Foresters and Arborists who should be able to help.

The problem needs to be identified before any treatment.

He needs to check for Cryptostroma corticale (sooty bark disease) as one
of the less obvious issues.

> I am a volunteer with  the Master Gardeners of Ontario and field
> questions from across Ontario. I received a desperate request from an
> individual in the Bancroft area regarding managed maple forest in
> decline. Canopy dieback, heavy insect damage including caterpillars,
> weevils, and aphids, along with mites and disease pressures seem to be
> occurring.
>
> In the one photo provided, I can observe two species of weevils (one
> appears to be Phyllobius oblongus - European Snout Beetle), a green
> aphid issue (with associated honeydew), some minor leaf miner
> activity, eriophyid mites with what may be erineum galls, minor leaf
> spots, a leaf roller, and webbing from unknown source (possibly mite).
> He reports additional caterpillar activity, which I presume are gypsy
> moths as they are widely reported in the region this year.
>
> He is unable to find anyone in the area to provide him support and advice.
>
> Based on my reading, I have advised soil testing with particular
> attention given to phosphorus levels and potential  imbalances in Ca,
> Al, Mg and Mn. If consistent with soil tests, I have recommended
> liming based on recent article by Moore (2020).
>
> If open land is adjacent to the maple stand, I have also recommended
> creating a meadow buffer to support natural predators like lacewings
> and parasitic wasps to help control the aphids and insect pest
> populations.
>
> Please let me know if this advice is sound and what other measures
> this individual might take. Could you recommend advisors or
> consultants in the Bancroft area that might assist this landowner?
>
> Thank you for your attention to this inquiry.
>
> Best Regards,
> Catherine Kavassalis
> Master Gardeners of Ontario
> MGOI.ca
> Admin. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MasterGardenersofOntario/
>

> A few of the articles I have reviewed:

Bal, T. L., Storer, A.J., Jurgensen, M.F. et al. (2015). Nutrient
> stress predisoses and contributes to sugar maple dieback across its
> northern range: a review. Forestry 88: 64-83

McLaughlin D.L., Linzon S.N., Dimma D.E., McIlveen W.D. (1987) Sugar