[CANUFNET] Constructing Driveways within Critical Root Zones

Astrid Nielsen astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca
Fri Jul 10 11:15:03 EDT 2020

Hello Canufnet members,

I have a client that is building two homes on an infill lot where there is
a very large (106 cm), healthy silver maple. He is very willing to
explore different options for working around the tree that would cause
minimum disruption to the roots.

Does anyone have examples of building driveways within the critical root
zones of large trees that have managed to prevent significant root damage
and tree decline? Specifically, he is considering a type of elevated
driveway that would not require the severing of roots or significant soil
compaction, and dissipate the pressure through posts. Although the posts
would cause some root damage, it would be significantly less than
excavation for a standard driveway. If anyone has examples of this type of
engineering, I would be grateful if you could share it with me.

Thank you,

Astrid

*Astrid Nielsen, *MFC
Ontario Registered Professional Forester
ISA Certified Arborist®
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified

astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca
+1.613.805.WOOD (9663)