[CANUFNET] Constructing Driveways within Critical Root Zones

Naomi Zurcher treerap at sprintmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:50:50 EDT 2020

If you did the excavation using a pneumatic excavation tool such as an Air Spade with a root diagnostic nozzle, you could do the excavation without damaging roots. I would then install a structural soil substrate such as CU® soil which you could the compact to the required proctor and then use a porous or pervious surface.

This way you could have the driveway at grade and accommodate roots at the same time.

Just a thought

Best of luck
Naomi