[CANUFNET] Seeking advice for Birch Crotch pooling water

Philip van Wassenaer pwassenaer1022 at rogers.com
Mon Jul 27 10:17:27 EDT 2020

Catherine,

I would advise to do nothing about the water. From my perspective when a cavity is holding water it is an indication that for now the tree seems to be walling off the affected area from further decay, which is a good thing that we should not interfere with. Drilling would be the worst option…

I think it would be good to have an arborist look at the tree and that specific branch. Hard to figure everything out from your pictures.

The maybe more concerning import of the cavity is that it is located at the base of a large branch and may be making the branch more prone to failure. Reduction pruning to reduce the loading may be one recommendation and maybe a small cable to support the branch could be another. Or let Mother nature do her work if there is no significant target under the branch…

Birch are short lived and poor at defending themselves from decay. If this one is doing that, best to just leave it alone.

Cheers,

Philip van Wassenaer, B.SC., MFC

Urban Forest Innovations Inc.

1331 Northaven Drive