[CANUFNET] tearing up pavement or concrete to plant trees?

Naomi Zurcher treerap at sprintmail.com
Sat Nov 7 09:48:22 EST 2020

Hi Andrew:
Please be careful regarding the recommendation of the Highline which came about through the unacceptable gentrification of a lower middle to lower working class neighborhood. The Highline always existed albeit not in the glorified $3,000,000 / year maintenance sense. The community of then used what was an abandoned elevated train trestle extensively. It was always host to an array of wildflowers which no one maintained. Now that the neighborhood has been gentrified to an upscale variety, such an unmanaged no-cost green space would never befit the current income level.

This is another example of public money going to high end neighborhoods rather than to the small parks and green spaces in disenfranchised communities.

The realities of municipal governments that have undermined the value of neighborhoods and working class communities.

Naomi