[CANUFNET] Private Tree Protection

Wood, Crispin woodc at halifax.ca
Wed Dec 2 05:59:27 EST 2020

Hello Folks,

Council has asked Halifax Administration to investigate options to incentivize tree retention on private lands scheduled for new development (subdivisions etc.). I am curious if other municipalities have conducted a similar jurisdictional review that they might be willing to share, or have any experiences with private tree bylaws or other planning tools used to either incentivize, disincentivize or compensate for urban canopy loss in greenfield development?

I know some of you may have already responded to a colleague of mine via the CUSP mind hive, and thank you.

Crispin Wood, MSFM
Superintendent of Urban Forestry
Road Operations & Construction
Transportation & Public Works