[CANUFNET] Urban Forest Funding

Mark Carroll environment1st at rogers.com
Thu Dec 17 10:41:47 EST 2020

Hi all
You may be able to get these policies into lower tear municipalities through the Official Plan Reviews that have to be updated every 5 years. The Natural Heritage Policies of the OP's will allow municipalities to put the values of their natural heritage through asset management policies. This would be no different then evaluating the cost of sidewalks, street lights,  facilities such as community centers and hockey rinks. Municipalities may even be able to borrow at a lesser rate if they can show that their assets are worth more and are more abundant. We have to remember that Trees are the only assets that will increase in value after it has been planted. All other assets of value will start to depreciate as soon  at it has started to be used.

Mark Carroll
ISA Certified Arborist, Qualified Arborist Tech
All around nice guy
Taking our environment first
Thanks for connecting...

  On Wed., 16 Dec. 2020 at 5:08 p.m., Timea Filer via CANUFNET<canufnet at list.web.net> wrote:   Hello,
Although I can't speak for anyone else specifically, there are quite a few municipalities that are including natural assets and specifically trees and / or forests in their corporate asset management plans. I can speak for Guelph when I say that we are in the process of developing a natural asset management plan and then ultimately incorporating this as green infrastructure assets into the corporate asset plan, life cycle costing, and risk management  - in the context of climate change. Our asset management plan supports the City's Strategic plan as well as meeting regulations for Asset Management Planning for Municipal Infrastructure (O.Reg 588/17). Information can be found at https://guelph.ca/2020/10/corporate-asset-management-plan-uses-data-to-focus-funding-on-priority-items/ .  Additionally, our urban forest management plan and funding, which is supported by Council, includes the recognition of the urban forest as a green infrastructure asset with associated value (e.g., ecological services, replacement value).

Good luck,
Timea

Timea Filer, R.P.F. | Urban Forestry Field Technologist
Parks, Public Services

City of Guelph
T 519-822-1260 x 3352 | F 519-821-0839
E timea.filer at guelph.ca