[CANUFNET] ideas on promoting an urban-forest website

Janani Sivarajah jsivarajah at brocku.ca
Mon Jan 11 12:04:57 EST 2021

Hello Peter,

From my experience, frequent blogs rack up readership and visitors to the website. Also, you’ll have to consider directing traffic to your blogs via social media or listservs. Hope it helps!

Best regards,

Janani

From: Peter Duinker via CANUFNET <canufnet at list.web.net<mailto:canufnet at list.web.net>>
Date: Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 9:18 AM
Subject: [CANUFNET] ideas on promoting an urban-forest website
To: canufnet at list.web.net<mailto:canufnet at list.web.net> <canufnet at list.web.net<mailto:canufnet at list.web.net>>
CC: Peter Duinker <Peter.Duinker at dal.ca<mailto:Peter.Duinker at dal.ca>>

Dear CANUFNET Colleagues:

I have a basic challenge that many of you may have faced and conquered. I need to find ways to bring more visitors to an educational website dedicated to urban forests. My junior colleagues (mostly my students and former students) and I launched www.halifaxtreeproject.com<http://www.halifaxtreeproject.com> some years ago and it remained fairly inactive until the past 12 months. We are now posting a lot of materials that I hoped would become so attractive for Halifax people to read that the site would sell itself. Not so (my naiveté).

The HTP group is discussing ways to bring more people to the website. It is clear that we need a greater presence on social media, so ramping up our Facebook, Instragram, and Twitter activity is clearly necessary. We also need to “spruce up” the website to dance on the screen, three dimensionally, rather than resemble the staid academic flatness of which I’m the epitome. What else should we do? Perhaps you have good experiences in promoting your own websites. I would love to hear from you about this.

Very best wishes for a promising urban-forest year in the COVID-wind-down during 2021.

Cheers, Peter

Peter N. Duinker, PhD, P.Ag.
Professor Emeritus
School for Resource and Environmental Studies, Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2
peter.duinker at dal.ca<mailto:peter.duinker at dal.ca>
www.dal.ca/faculty/management/sres/faculty-staff/our-faculty/peter-duinker.html<https://www.dal.ca/faculty/management/sres/faculty-staff/our-faculty/peter-duinker.html>

Co-Principal, Sylveritas Ltd.