[CANUFNET] Urban Trees Are Infrastructure - Natural Capital Assets

Naomi Zurcher treerap at sprintmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:17:52 EST 2021

Hi Erna:

You’ll forgive me but trees are NOT infrastructure.

Infrastructure is what humans construct. Trees are a living organism - NOT a human construct.

Trees are an essential part of the Urban Forest which can be defined as follows:

" The Urban Forest is an ecosystem characterized by the presence of trees and related flora and fauna, the soils and landscapes they populate and the air and water resource they coexist with, all in a dynamic association with people and their human settlements." (Zürcher, N. In review. Connecting Trees with People: Synergistic Strategies for Growing the Urban Forest. Springer Publishing)

Green infrastructure is a term that was coined by the US EPA and was defined as follows:
"Section 502 of the Clean Water Act defines green infrastructure as "...the range of measures that use plant or soil systems, permeable pavement or other permeable surfaces or substrates, stormwater harvest and reuse, or landscaping to store, infiltrate, or evapotranspirate stormwater and reduce flows to sewer systems or to surface waters."
Green infrastructure is a cost-effective, resilient approach to managing wet weather impacts that provides many community benefits. While single-purpose gray stormwater infrastructure—conventional piped drainage and water treatment systems—is designed to move urban stormwater away from the built environment, green infrastructure reduces and treats stormwater at its source while delivering environmental, social, and economic benefits…”
https://www.epa.gov/green-infrastructure/what-green-infrastructure <https://www.epa.gov/green-infrastructure/what-green-infrastructure>

Thank you for your attention to this important information

Kind regards
Naomi Zürcher