[CANUFNET] Urban Trees Are Infrastructure - Natural Capital Assets

Tenley Conway tenley.conway at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 19 14:11:05 EST 2021

I think we also need to recognize that how the term green infrastructure (or Canada’s ‘natural’ infrastructure) is regularly used is different than whether it is an effective conceptualization that will help achieve urban tree/forest goals, including providing new funding opportunities  (although I am in favor of tress as GI, as well).

Ian Mell’s book Global green infrastructure: lessons for successful policy-making, investment and management (2016) has several introductory chapters identifying the multiple origins of the term green infrastructure, which had led to the varied understandings of it that we have today.  While the US EPA’s stormwater definition is dominant in the US, in Europe green infrastructure is typically considered networks of connected green space that provide multiple ecosystem services and support biodiversity, and increasingly is broadly discussed as a process for strategic landscape planning.  My research on Canada (primarily focused on Ontario)  is that different definitions are used within and between different governments/municipalities, although trees are often front and center.

Finally, the US EPA definition includes trees and other vegetation, with city’s like Philadelphia planting trees as part of their green infrastructure initiative to address EPA stormwater requirements.

Tenley

Tenley Conway | Professor and Associate Chair-Research
Department of Geography, Geomatics and Environment| University of Toronto- Mississauga
3359 Mississauga Rd, Mississauga, ON Canada L5L 1C6
http://sites.utm.utoronto.ca/conway/

Associate Editor | Urban Forestry and Urban Greening<https://www.journals.elsevier.com/urban-forestry-and-urban-greening>