[CANUFNET] [External email] Question to mailing list members

Mike Jenkins mike.jenkins at edmonton.ca
Fri Mar 5 15:39:57 EST 2021

In general, I would think that the wound generated by removing the
epicormic growth would be a greater attractant and a greater risk of entry
for the beetles than leaving the growth in place.

The epicormic growth itself could be an indicator of where vascular
blockage is occurring - potentially due to gallery formation or
fungal growth.  The growth then would be a response to an infestation or
injury that already occurred, and not the causative agent of the gallery or
fungus.  The weaker connections of epicormic growth would also be more
vulnerable to being removed accidentally by wind or other factors, again
potentially creating an entry point for the beetles.  For these reasons a
tree with epicormic growth should be a target of increased monitoring and
surveillance.

--

[image: Edmonton_sig_RGB_S.jpg]

Mike Jenkins

PEST COORDINATOR
ANIMAL CARE & PEST MANAGEMENT

CITIZEN SERVICES  |  COMMUNITY STANDARDS & NEIGHBOURHOODS

780-496-6395  OFFICE

780-918-7731  MOBILE

CITY OF EDMONTON

PEST MANAGEMENT

12312 - 107 ST

Edmonton AB T5G 2S7

Pronouns (He/Him)

All information contained in this email post is proprietary to the City of
Edmonton, confidential and intended only for the addressed recipient. If
you have received this post in error, please disregard the contents, inform
the sender of the misdirection, and remove it from your system. The
copying, dissemination or distribution of this email, if misdirected, is
strictly prohibited.

--
*The contents of this message and any attachment(s) are confidential,
proprietary to the City of Edmonton, and are intended only for the