[CANUFNET] Appraisal of trees and estimating the age of trees

Naomi Zurcher treerap at sprintmail.com
Fri Mar 19 10:29:40 EDT 2021

Hi MArk:

I am assuming these are urban trees and so I am wondering what knowing age would bring to these trees’ management.

I have found that, within an urban setting, age is a fairly irrelevant issue since one can never pre-determine how a tree might respond to the grave difficulties it has to deal with, especially infrastructure such as paving and compacted substrate. The ability to break out of the coffin our street trees are routinely planted into and find enough resources to support growth will be of more relevance in whether the tree will live and maybe thrive.

Naomi

Naomi Zürcher
Arbor Aegis
Urban Forester / Consulting Arborist