[CANUFNET] Where Women Choose to Walk discussion series - Episode 3: Women and urban green stewardship

Adrina Bardekjian abardekjian at treecanada.ca
Mon May 3 06:54:16 EDT 2021

For your interest:

***********

“Doesn’t matter where I live. I belong to the universe.”
Agustina Iskander Crombach, Indonesia

The quote above was just one of the many powerful statements made during our third episode of "Where Women Choose to Walk: Paths to Improving Cities and Nature". The audience, panelists and hosts grappled not just with the definition of Stewardship but with what the act of engaging in care of the natural world means for women, communities, and the world at large. From Aceh to Toronto to New York City, the narratives shared by guest speakers on the struggles and successes as well as the literature around this topic resonated with our participants.

Our discussion focused on community ties, types of stewardship, engagement and mobilization of citizens, stewardship as paid vs. unpaid work, and as an accessible form of civic engagement. Panelists shared their knowledge and inspirations for engaging in urban green stewardship in research, tree climbing and community building. If you missed the episode, you may view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj9OlDdiYj8<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj9OlDdiYj8&fbclid=IwAR3_DCSw2vyfeICmzD2Pq8yTa6b9v8zYbLjS8jFUSfHf38JAFPVIQ0zhv88>

Our next episode is on “Women as Citizen Scientists” on May 12, 2021, from 10 AM – 12 NOON EST (GMT-4). To sign up, register at: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUpdO6trj4tGdR-MuDaFdMThmlZjIIPLlsb

About:
“Where Women Choose to Walk: Paths to Improving Cities and ature,” is an online discussion series where each month we tackle a variety of topics from international perspectives of women working in urban environments and natural resource management across continents. We share stories and strategies to learn and support one another towards an inclusive global community of practice. Discussions focus on topics such as diversity and inclusion, labour concerns, community values, motherhood and parenting, resiliency, creative inspirations, and capacity building. Participants are from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds ranging from the global north and global south, working in various sectors of urban environment and natural resource management including forestry (urban and rural), mining, watershed, disaster, conservation, eco-tourism, stewardship, and more. Sessions are recorded and shared on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOTIXl-b-qcbQMr6IxjvMw

For more information email: womenurbannature at gmail.com

Introductory article: https://treecanada.ca/blog/where-women-choose-to-walk-paths-to-improving-cities-and-nature

[cid:66026bab-a410-4b04-85c9-83698bc9a8bb]

Adrina C. Bardekjian, MFC, PhD

Director, Urban Forestry Programs & Research Development

Directrice, Programmes de foresterie urbaine et développement de la recherche

Adjunct Professor, Institute of Forestry & Conservation, Daniels Faculty, University of Toronto
Professeur adjoint, Institute of Forestry & Conservation, Daniels Faculty, Université de Toronto

[cid:e1e39b91-8e1e-4161-a10e-d856c1794939]<https://www.facebook.com/TreeCanada/>[cid:7ca57eed-52c2-4b6f-8349-4fd86ca7a05a]<https://www.instagram.com/treecanada/>[cid:8bef236e-286e-4f0e-a4f2-4d17c4c96741]<https://twitter.com/treecanada>treecanada.ca | arbrescanada.ca

Donate<https://cause2give.unxvision.com/EDMWeb/DonationForm.aspx?FormID=5&LanguageID=1> | Plant  with Tree Canada<https://treecanada.ca/plant-with-us/>
Faites un don<https://cause2give.unxvision.com/EDMWeb/DonationForm.aspx?FormID=5&LanguageID=2> | Plantez avec Abres Canada<https://arbrescanada.ca/plantez-avec-nous>