[CANUFNET] Tree guards

Mark Carroll environment1st at rogers.com
Mon Jun 7 10:56:32 EDT 2021

I would suggest that rocks are no more dangerous that the tree is. It sound like any lawn cutting crew, they are lazy and do not want to deal with going around the tree as they should. With that being said, rocks do not make a great tree ring. I would suggest that you use a perforated 6 or 8inch big "O" pipe 25 to 40 centimeters long. Slice the pipe the length and carefully slide it over the base of the trunk. There are specially designed tree raps, but I have found that lazy landscapers can damage and possibly  remove the special raps. Keeping proper mulched tree rings can also have a great benefit for the trees. Part of teaching kids, you can have them look after the tree rings. If the tree ring is 2 to 3 meters in diameter mowers will stay away from the tree. Once the tree is the same size as the rap, it should be OK to remove the rap as mice and other rodents do notice the older  bark of a more mature tree. Keep mulch away from the bark as you want the back to dry. Mulch will keep it moist and possibly damage the bark. Make sure the rout flare of the tree is at grade. Too deep and this will damage the tree.

Sent from Rogers Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Mon., 7 Jun. 2021 at 10:17 a.m., Naomi Zurcher via CANUFNET<canufnet at list.web.net> wrote:   I would suggest that the lawnmowers are the greater hazard to the tree.
Can you indicate what type of tree guard as there are many that fit with this general description and also what is the wildlife that you wish to protect against?
The problem with many tree guards is that they are not maintained and often end up doing irreparable damage to the growing tree.
Naomi ZürcherArbor Aegis Luzern Switzerland