[CANUFNET] Equitable Cities For Healthy People and Nature - Request for survey responses

Adrina Bardekjian abardekjian at treecanada.ca
Mon Jul 5 11:45:30 EDT 2021

Sent on behalf of Rachel Buxton, Assistant Professor, Carleton University:

Equitable cities for healthy people and nature

Dear colleagues,

As most of you know, restoring and protecting biodiversity in urban areas through nature-based interventions is an opportunity to foster nature connectivity and health for an enormous number of people, while simultaneously improving outcomes for nature and promoting racial justice.

A team from Carleton University are undertaking an online survey to assess the outcomes and knowledge gaps for nature-based interventions across Canadian cities. The results from this survey will help build the evidence base to guide nature-based solutions that maximize biodiversity conservation, equity, human health and wellbeing, and pro-environmental behaviours.

We recognize your expertise in urban nature-based interventions and thus are writing to invite you to participate in this effort. Nature-based interventions (also known as land-based healing or nature-based solutions) are programs or activities that aim to engage people in nature-based experiences with the goal of improving health and wellbeing and providing environmental benefits. These include a range of strategies, from community gardening to park restoration to ceremonial practices.

Our survey aims to identify the outcomes of any nature-based interventions you may participate in, for biodiversity conservation, human health and wellbeing, or equity and inclusion. If you do not participate in any nature-based interventions, you will be directed to the section that explores knowledge/evidence gaps for more effective nature-based interventions in cities.

We estimate that the survey will take approximately 10-20 minutes to complete.  However, the survey can take as long as you choose, and we welcome all levels of involvement.

The information needs identified by experts like yourself will be discussed at a workshop and published in the supplementary material of a resulting publication.  The information needs will help to inform priorities for future research to support more effective nature-based interventions. The nature-based interventions you identify will be featured in an online map, unless you indicate you would not like them to be shared.

The information you provide will be anonymized. This research has been cleared by Carleton University Research Ethics Board-B (CUREB-B Clearance # 115849). If you have any ethical concerns with the study, please contact the REB chair, Carleton University Research Ethics Board-B by e-mail (ethics at carleton.ca<mailto:ethics at carleton.ca>).

If you have any questions about this research project or would like to recommend other survey participants please contact me by email at Rachel.buxton at carleton.ca<mailto:Rachel.buxton at carleton.ca> or by phone 343-777-4325.

Survey link:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=Aoi1r3r_sUurITZ_8uz8i45KkQPVsVNFtY9Ppx830uNUN1FYNjBXNVdPMkVZUkpOSzdUWDBPOTlQWC4u

The deadline for contributing to this survey is August 16, 2021. We will send an email reminder one week before the deadline.

Thank you for your contribution.

Sincerely,

Rachel Buxton, Assistant Professor, Carleton University on behalf of the Equitable cities team

--

Rachel Buxton (she/her) - Research Scientist

Geomatics and Landscape Ecology Research Lab
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario Canada, K1S 5B6
email. rachel.buxton at glel.carleton.ca<mailto:rachel.buxton at glel.carleton.ca>
phone. 343-777-4325

[cid:e88e9a47-3828-490e-9b71-8c249f60d40c]

Adrina C. Bardekjian, MFC, PhD

Director, Engagement and Research / Directrice, engagement et recherche
Adjunct Professor, Institute of Forestry & Conservation, Daniels Faculty, University of Toronto / Professeur adjoint, Institute of Forestry & Conservation, Daniels Faculty, Université de Toronto

[cid:753fee68-42a5-439a-b11b-6022994ff705]<https://www.facebook.com/TreeCanada/>[cid:6e2c4947-b66d-400e-bbd7-d92df6ff004b]<https://www.instagram.com/treecanada/>[cid:22d25082-4406-4b74-b707-7390c4bcb3f0]<https://twitter.com/treecanada>treecanada.ca | arbrescanada.ca

Donate<https://cause2give.unxvision.com/EDMWeb/DonationForm.aspx?FormID=5&LanguageID=1> | Plant  with Tree Canada<https://treecanada.ca/plant-with-us/>
Faites un don<https://cause2give.unxvision.com/EDMWeb/DonationForm.aspx?FormID=5&LanguageID=2> | Plantez avec Arbres Canada<https://arbrescanada.ca/plantez-avec-nous>