[CANUFNET] Trees and boulevards

Trevor Thistle Trevor.thistle at edmonton.ca
Wed Sep 29 11:54:47 EDT 2021

Hi Ian,

Here in Edmonton I have been working almost exclusively with tree
conservation during Neighborhood Renewal (NR) for 13 years. NR is the
process of reconstructing all sidewalks, curbs and streets in a
neighborhood, as well as adding missing infrastructure.

In our oldest neighborhoods I feel that trees growing in boulevards with
separate sidewalks (curb on one side, sidewalk on the other side of the
tree) have not really been impacted by the perceived restricted growing
area, with the exception of roots literally engulfing curbs or overlapping
sidewalks. I believe that the reason for this is that the construction
standards that were in place decades ago (between neighborhood
establishment and the time the sidewalk was last replaced) allowed for the
construction of sidewalks on top of organic soil. So, in most cases, the
trees had little challenge accessing soil beyond the boulevard.

However, new construction standards include a gravel base and mechanical
compaction under sidewalks. Also, greenfield construction is not what it
used to be. Nowadays developers remove all of the precious topsoil from the
land before building a new subdivision, then bring back enough topsoil to
support the new sod. In these cases, regardless of the sidewalk design
(mono or seperate) the trees do not have enough soil volume to support
them. We do amend soil volumes with trenches in separate boulevards, but
these are trenches in clay with still inadequate soil volumes. So my point
is, depending on construction practices and standards, the configuration of
the sidewalks in relation to the trees may have less impact on soil growing
space than we think.

but I would agree that trees in a more free to grow state, with little or
no barriers to quality soil will outperform a tree in restricted growing
space, and there will be fewer infrastructure / tree conflicts. This means
that we will minimize tree related damages to infrastructure and
construction related damages to trees in order to maintain that
infrastructure.

*Trevor Thistle Bsc. Forestry*
*Urban Forester **| **PR-4760AM | **Tree Risk Assessment Qualified*

OPEN SPACE OPERATIONS

CITY OPERATIONS |  PARKS AND ROADS SERVICES

780-944-5577  OFFICE

780-913-5893  MOBILE

City of Edmonton

12830 58 Street NW

--
*The contents of this message and any attachment(s) are confidential,
proprietary to the City of Edmonton, and are intended only for the