[CANUFNET] Trees and boulevards

Meagan Hanna meagan.hanna at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 29 13:01:40 EDT 2021

Hi Ian,

Everyone loves a good debate!

Barlett's multi-year study comes up often to illustrate this point, but perhaps there might be some more recent research on this topic. If this is the case, I haven't run into it yet. Feel free tp share!

https://www.deeproot.com/blog/blog-entries/suspended-pavement-study-at-the-bartlett-tree-lab-year-9/

I can recommend an interesting site to follow up on over Google Street view, in front of Montreal's Saint-Josepth's Oratory along Queen Mary street, south side. A very busy, urban site.

The street was ripped up between 2007 and 2009. New tree pits were introduced and the municipality planted Accolate elms in tree pits at the main entrance in August 2008. Needless to say, not all of them have made it to 2021. Around the same time, in 2008, further west down the road, between the sidewalk and the parking lot, the property managers planted an alignment of trees as well. I believe they're Siberian elms. Not the same rate of development without a doubt! It's interesting to move through every year and see all of the work that has occurred around that site.

Across the street, in front of Collège Notre Dame, you can see some magnificent Kentucky Coffeetrees as well 🙂 Enjoy!

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4934882,-73.6204576,3a,75y,128.15h,96.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s43HfNkuKULQ9tcK7SC5pGA!2e0!5s20090401T000000!7i16384!8i8192

I'm eager to see other examples!

All the best,
Meg