[CANUFNET] Authority for community-level enforcement on private property to control catastrophic pest or disease outbreaks

Jeremy Gye jgye at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 6 13:39:31 EST 2022

Outbreaks of such serious threats as Dutch Elm Disease and Mountain Pine
Beetle have affected many parts of our country and other threats of this
type can be expected in the future.  I would like to know what members
experience in managing these outbreaks has been with respect to intervening
with residents on private property to address these threats.  Is there a
legal basis or precedence for doing this as a regulatory or enforcement
measure or are their limits or constraints on this type of intervention?
Have other strategies (e.g. outreach and education) proved more effective?

Many thanks,

Jeremy Gye

Senior Consultant

C:     (250) 883-4533