[CANUFNET] Soil Cells, Salt, & Poor Leaf Expansion

Mark Carroll environment1st at rogers.com
Sun Jun 5 10:12:01 EDT 2022

Hi Alison
I have been experimenting with the use of sugar water. I have been told that sugar in soils will displace salt. I have use unrefined all natural cane sugar or molasses. Water the tree habitat in the spring just before leaf break or just as the frost comes out of the ground. I use about 1 to 2 cups of sugar or molasses for every 500 liters of water in a deep rooting fertilizer. The sugar will help with fungi and bacteria production in the soil. I have no documented proof, other than those trees that seem to survive in high road salted areas.
Still looking into this, but it takes nothing to try. I had a good fertilizer regiment for newly planted trees. No nitrogen, high in natural  nutrients and a mycorrhizae inoculant. My efforts are to mitigate good soils and root growth. A little magnesium sulfate in the water will help trees uptake the fertilizer.
Other things to take into consideration,  Heat island effect from one site to the other. Is one in shade and the other in full sun?Traffic pollution?
So much to consider when dealing with street trees...
Hope this helps....regards

Sent from Rogers Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri., 3 Jun. 2022 at 3:27 p.m., Alison Bond via CANUFNET<canufnet at list.web.net> wrote:    <!--#yiv4088738510 _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv4088738510 #yiv4088738510 p.yiv4088738510MsoNormal, #yiv4088738510 li.yiv4088738510MsoNormal, #yiv4088738510 div.yiv4088738510MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv4088738510 span.yiv4088738510EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv4088738510 .yiv4088738510MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;} _filtered {}#yiv4088738510 div.yiv4088738510WordSection1 {}-->
Hello CANUFNET,

I’m wondering whether anyone has come across this.  We have two streetscape projects (different municipalities) that include soil cells installed over the last two years.  The Freeman Maples, in particular, have been unsuccessful and typically leaf expansion begins and then stops.  The very small leaves turn brown, as though scorched.  On one project, Freeman Maples were also planted in sod and the trees are fine.

Both projects were installed by the same contractor and I believe they used soil from the same source.  In both projects, stormwater is directed to the soil cells from the catchbasins.

The contractor has indicated that it is the high salt level in the soil (in the soil cells) that is causing the trees to fail.  They have had the soil tested (probably at the tree pit) and it is high in salt.

That said, Freeman Maples have been used successfully in soil cells on other projects.

I haven’t seen this symptom attributed to soil salt… where the buds break and the leaves start to expand, but then stop.  Is this a symptom of high salinity or is this perhaps something else, exacerbated by less than ideal soil salt levels?  I’ve had someone suggest maybe verticillium.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

Regards,

Alison

Alison Bond BSc MSc BLA OALA CSLA

Landscape Architect and Certified Arborist

ENVISION-TATHAM Inc.

115 Sandford Fleming Drive, Suite 200, Collingwood, L9Y 5A6

abond at envision-tatham.com I Tel: 705.445.0422 I Fax: 705.444.2327 I Cell: 705.994.2059 I www.envision-tatham.com

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.