[CANUFNET] Reply (CANUFNET] 25 years appart

Elaine Ethier elaine.ethier at umontreal.ca
Wed Apr 12 17:10:13 EDT 2023

Sir,

I agree to some point. However, last week’s ice storm on the island of Montreal was severe. Expert Forestry Engineers, Arborists, Plant Biologists, Botanists, Horticulturists, agree that a very high percentage of damage occurred last week due to scars or lack of structural callus along with poor tree broom training for 25 years or 1998. In a majority, Diameter of branches sequences close to the expected 25 year growth.  Southern Quebec’s urban forest has had collateral damages in yearly cycles.

The Dutch Elm disease circa 1940 devastated street tree in all areas of our Province. Then to redefine an urban canopy, massive planting of the invasive Norway Maple and ssp., was one speechless disaster in the 1998 ice storm along with others Maples, Ash, Linden, Oaks etc. Not to mention loss of firs. The 2002 Eastern Canada detection of the Emerald Ash Borer has brought a significant population of hazardous trees. The 1998 ice storm has left a horizon of altered tree structural and architectural weaknesses measured to date and surveys will reveal the information as our geographic position allows for trees capable of adaption to our hardiness zones.

Best and warmest.

Elaine Ethier
Consultante
Milieu de vie - foresterie urbaine