[CANUFNET] New research on the profession of urban forestry

Bassett, Corinne corey.bassett at ubc.ca
Mon May 8 12:27:48 EDT 2023

I’m excited to share a new paper that was published in the May issue of Arboriculture & Urban Forestry (now fully open access)!

O’Herrin, K., Bassett, C., Day, S., Ries, P. D., & Wiseman, P. E. (2023). Borrowed credentials and surrogate professional societies: A critical analysis of the urban forestry profession. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry, 49, 107–136.

https://html5.dcatalog.com/?docid=191ac40a-dbd8-4f57-8ff9-6ec7f302f467&page=6

This paper is a critical analysis of the urban forestry profession in Canada and the US, motivated by the authors’ experience teaching and mentoring hundreds of urban forestry students, watching the urban forestry profession develop and emerge, and how essential we believe the profession is for the future.

In short (though, we hope you read our paper!), we found there are many complex barriers for future professionals to start their careers and for current urban forest professionals to advance their careers. Though there is no perfect or easy solution, we sincerely hope this analysis will support the current professionals and organizations in deciding what the optimal solution is. Based on our research, for urban forest professionals to develop, grow in number, and better serve society, we believe:

•         An existing, or new, organization needs to make the profession of urban forestry their primary focus

•         Existing organizations need to collaborate to find the optimal solution

•         The solution must work for the full spectrum of current & future urban forest professionals

Thank you for the work you do for urban forests.

Corey

Corinne (Corey) Bassett
PhD Candidate, Teaching Assistant, ISA Certified Arborist #WE-11625A
Faculty of Forestry | Urban Forest Ecosystems Lab | Urban Natures Lab
The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus | Unceded xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam<https://indigenous.ubc.ca/indigenous-engagement/musqueam-and-ubc/>) Territory