[CANUFNET] Looking for hard surface planting experiences/successes

stephen at ufora.ca stephen at ufora.ca
Thu Oct 5 10:17:07 EDT 2023

Avoid planting London Plane trees.

Stephen Smith

Urban Forest Associates

Urban Forestry & Ecological Restoration

www.ufora.ca

Office/fax 416-423-3387

Cell 416-707-2164

From: CANUFNET <canufnet-bounces at list.web.net> On Behalf Of Astrid Nielsen via CANUFNET
Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2023 4:40 PM
To: Canadian Urban Forest Network <canufnet at list.web.net>
Cc: Astrid Nielsen <astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca>
Subject: [CANUFNET] Looking for hard surface planting experiences/successes

Dear urban forestry colleagues,

We are working on a project with our local Business Improvement Association in Ottawa to examine the barriers around successful hard surface tree establishment along our main street, and how to overcome them. We have completed a cursory literature review, but with limited data, I am reaching out to the UF community with hopes that some of you will be willing to share your anecdotal experiences on what you feel are the best ways to plant trees successfully in hard surfaces. We recognize that soil volume is a significant barrier, and will be making recommendations to increase this, where possible, and incorporate the use of soil cells, if feasible. For situations where this is not an option, what are the next best alternatives?

If any of you have experience in your areas with hard surface planting, I would appreciate learning from you!

Please feel free to contact me directly if you prefer: astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca <mailto:astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca>

Thank you,

Astrid

Astrid Nielsen, MFC

Ontario Registered Professional Forester

ISA Certified Arborist®

ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified

 <mailto:astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca> astrid.nielsen at dendron <mailto:astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca> forestry.ca

+1.613.805.WOOD (9663)