[CANUFNET] Looking for hard surface planting experiences/successes

Michael Richardson mrtree at kos.net
Fri Oct 6 07:34:15 EDT 2023

Barriers to successful planting include:

- Too much water;
- Too little water;
- Deicing salt;
- Lack of organic matter;
- Wrong tree for site;
- Lack of space;
- Lack of funding;
- People;
etc.

There are lots of good books concerning trees and urban sites but very few
mention the important secret: site inspection and assessment and planning
is needed by competent people prior to specifying plants, let alone
planting.  The possession of a professional stamp, certification, or
qualification does not necessarily mean that the staff are experts for the
specific task.  There are failed planting attempts across southern Ontario
municipalities; the cause of the failure is often due to lack of
knowledgeable assessment planning.

The question we should all be asking is: do we spend our money planting
many trees and hoping for the best, or do we spend our money on a few
trees and ensure they have the planning, space, and after care, to allow
them to thrive and reach useful sizes.

Shigo says Touch Trees; I suggest that you cannot plan for trees without
Touching Soils at the initial phase.