[CANUFNET] Nuisance Tree Request

JPM TREE SERVICE tree tree6 at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 23 08:57:53 EDT 2023

Hi All,

Unusual tree removal, rationale requests are everywhere all the time. I find them tiring, exhausting,
fascinating and curious. When people call asking for a tree report, I’ll aptly state: What’s your rationale
for removal ? (I like to use “rationale” versus simply “reason”, as they tend to pause and have to
think about for a bit and give some sort of framework for their thinking). Often it's, “This tree’s dangerous.”
Sometimes it’s simple: It’s dead - or just about dead. I tend to encourage wildlife habitat tree creation if
the tree’s a decent size, maybe two feet DBH or more.

And then there is the  “alternative rationale”, as one BC Lower Mainland municipality puts it. I like to send this
little blurb to my current and potential customers. Gives them some time to think outside the box of
parameters of their city’s bylaw. I hope this is useful for others to consider. Also, in terms of nuisance,
I remind all my business relationships that a tree, as one Toronto colleague put it, is a "shedding organism."
And no, if walnuts are dropping onto the tin roof of your garage for a few weeks, then that is not a reason
to cut the tree down. The best one I’ve heard is that a raccoon was sitting in the crotch of a streamside habitat tree
watching a homeowner eat her breakfast. She found this quite disconcerting and wanted the tree cut down
(no, she didn’t get a permit).

Alternative Rationale for Tree Removal (if it is not a high risk or interferes significantly with a building development):
	-Critical Views of (?) are impeded
	-Undue Shade is caused
	-Fire Threat (that cannot be remedied by other means e.g.  pruning)
	-Unreasonable Maintenance Costs (please show your receipts)
	-Dire Aesthetics...
	-Ill-suited to the Site Conditions e.g.  Giant Sequoia is a ‘postage stamp-sized’ backyard
	-Financial Hardship (provided documentation e.g.  income tax return)
	-Significant Debris
	-Poisonous Components (somebody has been hospitalized e.g.  child, pet)
	-Animal or Bird Attractant, etc., etc., etc.
	-Unwanted Sounds,
-you may wish to prove that any or all of the above are an ongoing
 excessive, severe or intolerable inconvenience or nuisance associated with your tree (s)

Some food for thought.

Best,

John Martyn, ISA Certified Arborist (PNW-0610A)
JPM Tree Service
Since 1996
Abbotsford, BC
604.789.4045