[CANUFNET] precedence regarding: 'nuisance-tree' removal request / resolution - Linden

Michael Richardson mrtree at kos.net
Wed Oct 25 06:03:52 EDT 2023

I have to ask; with each of the cases of nuisance requests has a
benefit/disservice analysis been done in a none-biased manner?

It seems to me that "we need all the trees we can" is not an unbiased
approach, nor is it a defined analysis of the situation.

Many years ago a municipality looked at cultural differences in acceptance
of trees.  It was found that various cultural groups had different
perceptions of trees (i.e. what benefits and disservices they perceive)
and thus different acceptance of tree preservation and planting.  This
cultural acceptance helped to explain canopy cover distribution (or lack
off) throughout the municipality.

If municipal tree staff base decisions on their biases, and there is no
clearly defined  methodology to analyze the situation, it perhaps is no
wonder that people fight to have trees removed and are not supportive of
municipal tree by-laws that ignore their views, comfort, and property
rights.

It is not uncommon in southern Ontario for municipal staff to refuse to
even consider tree removal and be unable to articulate a reason.

Everyone loves trees as long as they are not paying the bill and as long
as they do not suffer the disservices.