[CANUFNET] Heritage Trees

Ontario Urban Forest Council info at oufc.org
Thu Apr 18 15:22:13 EDT 2024

Hello,

I am reaching out on behalf of the Ontario Urban Forest Council, to provide
an update on the Ontario Heritage Tree Recognition program and initiative
that we deliver in partnership with Forests Ontario.

Since its inception in the early 2000s, the Heritage Tree Recognition
program has been instrumental in preserving and celebrating Ontario's
remarkable urban forest heritage. Through collaborative efforts, the OUFC
has worked tirelessly alongside various partners to deliver this
initiative, fostering a culture of appreciation and stewardship for our
province's most significant trees.

Over the years, the Heritage Tree Recognition program has seen the
dedicated involvement of numerous individuals who have contributed to its
success. From its development in the early 2000s to its collaborative
delivery since 2009, the program owes much of its achievements to the
unwavering commitment of individuals such as Barbara Heindrich, Peter
Wynnyczuk, Jack Radecki, Adrina Bardekjian, Toni Ellis, Edith George, Rob
Keen, Allison Hands, John Barker, Kyle Berwick, and countless others.

However, it is with a heavy heart that I must convey the news that, due to
resource constraints, we have made the difficult decision to place the
Heritage Tree Recognition program on hiatus for all new applicants. This
decision was not made lightly, but rather out of necessity as we navigate
the current financial landscape.

Despite this setback, we remain steadfast in our commitment to the
program's ideals. We are actively exploring avenues to secure adequate or
longer-term financial support to revive and sustain this vital initiative.

You can support our cause by becoming a member of the Ontario Urban Forest
Council by visiting www.oufc.org or by considering sponsorship
opportunities. Your support will not only help us overcome these challenges
but also ensure the continued success of programs like the Heritage Tree
Recognition initiative along other important programs we also deliver.

On behalf of the Ontario Urban Forest Council, I want to express our
heartfelt gratitude to all past and present individuals who have played a
role in the development and implementation of the Heritage Tree Recognition
program. Your dedication and passion have left an indelible mark on
Ontario's urban forest landscape, and we are immensely grateful for your
contributions.

Thank you for your understanding, support, and continued commitment to
Ontario's urban forest.

Warm regards,

Jade Schofield

Jade Schofield