[CANUFNET] Fleming College Suspending Urban Forestry Programs

Julianna Goertzen juliannaconnie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 17:38:24 EDT 2024

Hello UF network!

In case you haven't heard yet, Fleming College announced via email the
suspension of 29 programs, with 14 of these programs located at the Frost
campus. This includes the programs, Fish and Wildlife, Ecosystem
Management, and Urban Forestry. Fleming College has long held a reputation
as the best environmental campus in the country for its studies, a
reputation now jeopardized by these suspensions. Fleming President, Maureen
Adamson claims the reason why these programs were cut was because of the
reduction of international students, however, these programs are primarily
enrolled by domestic students and the popular international student
programs were left open.

As a 2023 graduate of the Urban Forestry program at Fleming, I urge you to
help us fight for our future workers in urban forestry by signing the
petition below:
https://www.change.org/p/reverse-program-suspensions-at-fleming-frost-campus?recruiter=1337298048&recruited_by_id=5cdb4930-0404-11ef-85d2-0b336246c844&utm_source=share_petition&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_medium=copylink

Below are some news articles about the devastating decision to cut these
programs:
https://globalnews.ca/video/10450997/fleming-college-receives-blowback-after-cutting-29-programs/
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/shock-and-fear-for-their-jobs-this-ontario-public-college-is-slashing-29-programs-after/article_19618dac-0334-11ef-bbd4-cbda5c2525ee.html
https://globalnews.ca/news/10452770/faculty-union-blasts-program-cuts-fleming-college-peterborough-ont/

The link and QR code below is an Instagram group that keeps people up to
date about what is going on:
https://www.instagram.com/froststudentaction?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==

[image: image.png]

Thank you for reading and caring for our urban forests!
Julianna Goertzen