[CANUFNET] Suspension of Fleming College courses related to Urban Forestry, will this impact our Urban Forests

PHILIP WASSENAER pwassenaer1022 at rogers.com
Mon Apr 29 10:30:06 EDT 2024

Peter,
When were the courses suspended and why?
Philip van Wassenaer, B.SC., MFC
1331 Northaven Drive
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada, L5G 4E8
Tel: (905) 274-1022
Cell: (647) 221 3046
Fax: (905) 274 2170

    On Monday, April 29, 2024 at 10:00:27 a.m. EDT, Peter Wynnyczuk via CANUFNET <canufnet at list.web.net> wrote:

Good evening,

Very recently Fleming College has suspended the courses listed below.

Do you think this will have a negative impact on Arboriculture and Urban Forestry in Canada?

As many municipalities have and are seeking greater canopy cover targets through tree policies and  Bylaws, can this further weaken the voice for the trees?

I was fortunate be involved in Urban forestry in the GTHA for over 45 years in various capacities and able to present a course on Urban Forestry in the Municipal Context for 10 years until April 2023 at Fleming College and am concerned we have lost significant opportunities for engaging students in our industry to help with succession and future leaders in the Urban forest.

Please let me know if you have any concerns on the impacts related to our environment by the loss of these courses and enrollment benefiting our green industry.

There may be a need to create support for reinstatement of the  Urban Forestry courses

Sincerely,

Peter Wynnyczuk