[CANUFNET] Request for Urban Tree Data and i-Tree Assessments for Canada's National Inventory Report

Samson,Cameron (il | he, him) (ECCC) Cameron.Samson at ec.gc.ca
Wed May 15 14:51:59 EDT 2024

Hello Canufnet readers,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to you on behalf of the Land Use and Land use Change and Forestry at Environment and Climate Change Canada to solicit your collaboration in a vital national initiative aimed at enhancing our understanding and management of urban forestry.

As you may be aware, urban trees play a crucial role in our cities, not only by beautifying our surroundings but also by acting as significant carbon sinks that contribute to the mitigation of climate change and are reported in Canada's National Inventory Report. To accurately capture the evolving landscape of urban forestry, we have developed a time series of the expansion of urban areas in Canada and are looking at improving our methodology for estimating GHG emissions/removals from Urban trees in our National Inventory Report.

We are reaching out to provinces, cities, non-governmental organizations, and researchers to request for cities i-Tree assessments and information related to:

  *   i-Tree Eco data or similar datasets detailing tree species, size, health, and location within urban areas (repeated i-Tree Eco assessments that span multiple years are very valuable).
  *   Assessment reports on condition and benefits of urban trees, including carbon storage and sequestration rates.
  *   Research findings on urban tree growth patterns, mortality rates, and their responses to environmental changes.
  *   Developing growth curves for urban trees to predict their development and carbon sequestration potential.
  *   Quantifying the role of urban trees as carbon sinks.
  *   Documentation on the fate of ligneous material produced by tree maintenance and removal.

Our goal is to develop the most effective methods to ensure we are capturing the dynamic nature of urban cities; their expansion and the invaluable role trees play within them. Your expertise and data are crucial in helping us achieve a comprehensive and accurate representation for Canada. Your contributions will be instrumental in shaping policies and strategies for urban forestry management and climate action. We are committed to working collaboratively to ensure that our urban landscapes continue to thrive and support ecological and community well-being.

Please let us know if you require any further information. We look forward to your positive response and the opportunity to work together on this important endeavor.

Warm regards,

Cameron Samson
Physical Scientist | Scientifique Physique
Environment and Climate Change Canada | Environnement et Changement Climatique Canada
Science & Technology Branch | Direction Générale des Sciences et de la Technologie
Cameron.Samson at ec.gc.ca<mailto:Cameron.Samson at ec.gc.ca> / Tel: 1-819-307-7640