[CANUFNET] Municipal Public Tree Fund

Daniel Corbett Daniel.Corbett at thunderbay.ca
Mon Jul 8 10:36:44 EDT 2024

Good morning,
                In Thunder Bay, our landscape architects work with 'Planning and Development' Section to approve site plans for multi-unit buildings and neighbourhoods, including soil-pits and trees in new developments.  In my understanding, in a development, the developer pays for a certain number of trees to be planted in the development (which will be on the City Easement/ Boulevard), usually one per lot and some in a parkette (I Think).  When the developer is done the hard-structures and provides an 'as-built' (showing soil pit locations), they turn it over to the City.

The Forestry Section then plants the trees.  That is why I am not familiar with that component of 'Planning'.  We are brought in after-the-build.  I hope to work to change that.  Some lots that cannot hold a tree (due to underground service hubs) have the tree planted in the neighbourhood parkette.  In some cases, those house purchasers then come back and request a tree and we have to tell them 'There was never an intention for a tree on this lot (no pit, and there is a service-hub where all the services connect under-ground). You are welcome to plant one on your own property, but we would not plant a tree here (boulevard) due to the likelihood of day-lighting these connections at some point.  Your tree is planted in the parkette.'

                I am pretty sure 'Planning and Development' approves site plans for buildings with a requirement for a certain number of trees based on the footprint of the property.   On linear streetscapes they use 'one for each side of the road, every 11 m' (I think) .  We have recently had a building developer request to have the trees planted on City property (instead of the developed property) as a result of there being minimal remaining space after the building was erected.  It was their responsibility and expense on private property, so if they needed to divert from the approved plans, they were held to pay for the same number of trees on the boulevard or nearby (surrounding the building, or nearby at a bus stop).