TO Events: parade, Afghanistan, energy, detox

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Aug 31 12:52:55 EDT 2008

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Labour Day Parade
Mon. Sept. 1, 9:30 a.m., Queen and University

The union movement struts its stuff, hard hats and all. March along Queen
to the Ex.  Free entrance into the Ex for all marchers.

Labor Day is an annual holiday celebrated all over the world that resulted
from efforts of the labor union movement, to celebrate the economic and
social achievements of workers. The majority of countries celebrate Labor
Day on May 1, and it is popularly known as May Day and International
Workers' Day. The celebration of Labor Day has its origins in the eight
hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for
recreation, and eight hours for rest.

http://labourcouncil.ca

Defining Success in Afghanistan - Perspectives from the Canadian Ambassador
Tuesday, September 2 @ 4pm - 5pm
The Vivian and David Campbell Conference Facility, Munk Centre for
International Studies, 1 Devonshire Place, U of T
INFO: www.utoronto.ca/mcis

Register online:
http://webapp.mcis.utoronto.ca/EventDetails.aspx?eventid=6503

Speaker: Ambassador Arif Lalani (Senior Visiting Scholar, Munk Centre for
International Studies, Canadian Ambassador to the Islamic Republic of
Afghanistan from 2007 to 2008, Canadian Ambassador to the Hashemite
Kingdom of Jordan, and to the Republic of Iraq from 2006-2007)

MCIS Distinguished Lecture Series.
Sponsored by Munk Centre for International Studies.

Rising Energy Prices, Energy Efficiency and Your Home

Wednesday, September 3 @ 7pm
Ralph Thornton Centre, 756 Queen Street East
Free
INFO: Gabriel Draven, 416.465.0729; email: gabriel at villagetechnologies.ca

Do you have questions about what you can do to make your home more energy
efficient in the face of rising energy prices? If you do, join us and have
your questions answered by two of the cityís experts in green homes and
energy efficiency featuring:

*   South Riverdale based home efficiency experts Village Technologies
*   Home energy auditors The Energy

Fall Course Offering from the Labour Education Centre
Globalization, Imperialism and World Inequality
Wednesday, September 3 - November 4 @ 7pm - 10pm
OISE U of T
INFO: email: workereducation01 at yahoo.ca

Themes include:

-  The origins of global inequality: From Columbus to the World Bank
-  How and why the 1st and 3rd worlds- were created and are maintained
-  The role of Uncle Sam-: US military interventions and support for
friendly- dictators
-  Imperialism: How the US maintains its Empire
-  How the IMF, World Bank and foreign aid keeps developing- nations poor
-  Globalisation-: Mickey Mouse, Big Macs, and Nike; Sweatshops, child
labour and extreme poverty
-  Rebels and Guerrillas: The movements for revolutionary change in the
3rd world- and why they are demonised in the West

What: All About Detoxification Lab

When: Thursday, September 4, 7 pm - 9 pm, drop in
Where: Anarres Natural Health Clinic, College and Ossington
Cost: by donation, but please RSVP - 416 535 9620

Why do we need to detoxify and how do we do it? The air we breathe, the
water we drink, the foods we eat, and the products we use ~ these things
can nourish or poison us. Find out common sense ways to detoxify. Snack on
wholesome foods, enjoy crystal water or local herbal teas. Check out a
cell phone shield that reduces EMF radiation by 89% in FCC protocol tests.
Find out about lymphatic drainage massage and sniff test detoxifying
essential oils.Take a turn in the FAR Infrared Sauna. Bring your bath,
body and cleaning products for a non toxic evaluation and get free tools
to judge for yourself which products harm or heal you. Be the lucky
volunteer who gets to try out the Ion Cleanse detoxifying foot bath. I
will be available to answer your questions and refer you to resources to
judge for yourself.

4th Annual Green Building Festival
Sept 9-10, 2008, Toronto

Green Building Festival 2008 is a two day conference and expo highlighting
Innovation in green building. Take an in-depth look at the real world
impacts of green building, with comprehensive case studies, product
analysis, visionary keynotes, and 100 exhibitors with ready-to-market
green building solutions.

For more info:
http://www.ecohomenews.com/2008/08/green-building-festival-september-9-10-2008/

Interested in sending your child to an alternative school in Toronto?

The Beach School Co-operative Inc. (TBS) is a not-for-profit, independent
school for children aged 4-19 and is a part of an educational tradition of
democratic decision-making and self-initiated learning.

http://www.thebeachschool.org/

Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
healthy mind, body and planet
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in