Greenspiration News: Toolbox for Revolution

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sat Sep 8 12:45:06 EDT 2012

Greenspiration News

"And yes, my plan will continue to reduce the carbon pollution that is heating our planet because climate change is not a hoax. More droughts and floods and wildfires are not a joke. They're a threat to our children's future. And in this election, you can do something about it."  - President Obama, 9/6/12

"The future is now. And it is hot." – Dr. James E. Hansen, NASA Climate Scientist

Activism

Julian Assange speech at the Ecuadorian embassy10 min. video

Free Pussy Riot! Also catch this profound 1 min. video

Beautiful Trouble: A Toolbox for Revolution is a unique guide on how to take on powerful adversaries to win.
On August 27, KI Nation paddlers began a journey by canoe to Hudson's Bay, to protect KI water. Along the way, they are documenting and promoting this wild watershed and the deep connection the community has to their life-giving river. You can follow the journey here.

Cities

Can We Design Cities for Happiness?

Bikes Can Save Us Infographic

Complete Streets Hub  Case studies, policy expertise, news, and latest research

Commuters Pedal to Work on Their Very Own Superhighway Already one third of trips in Copenhagen are made by bike, and that will only increase as more car-free super bike highways are built.That city is committed to being carbon neutral by 2025. Why can't we do that here? Because we like congestion and smog and climate change?

The Bicycle Revolution in Paris, Five Years Later  In total, the number of bicycles in Paris has increased 41 percent since 2007. During the same period, motor vehicle traffic has decreased by 25 percent. One of his first measures was the creation of traffic lanes for exclusive use by buses in almost the entire city, in order to speed up their circulation and reduce the space available for use by private automobiles. On the weekends, motor vehicle traffic is prohibited on the most emblematic streets of Paris.

The Great Resurgence of Public Spaces Here's why we need parks, streetlife, squares, markets, trails, community gardens and other hang outs more than ever.

National Transit Strategy  MP Olivia Chow is proposing a Bill C-305. Canada is the only G8 country without a national transit strategy.

Whose Roads? Evaluating Bicyclists' and Pedestrians' Right to Use Public Roadways Most funding for local roads (the roads the pedestrians and cyclists use most) is from general taxes, which people pay regardless of how they travel. Since bicycling and walking impose lower roadway costs than motorized modes, people who rely on non-motorized modes tend to overpay their fair share of roadway costs and subsidize motorists.

Food and Drugs

The hidden costs of hamburgers Fantastic 8 min. video

Relish Yo’ Mama A series of how-to videos and info on canning and preserving food

Revolutionary Plots Urban agriculture: upscale fetish or revolution in the making? It depends in part on what you hope to cultivate.

The Elephant in the Room: Rampage Shootings, Bizarre Violence and Prescription Drugs

Climate and Capitalism

Weathergirl goes rogue  3 min. video – VERY funny and true

How to Deal With Climate Change Deniers 1 min. video - hahaha

Feds walk away from environmental assessments on almost 500 projects in B.C.

Keystone XL Pipeline just keeps coming back, like an ex-boyfriend who won’t get the hint. 1 min. video. Ha.

Coca-Cola to be booted out of Bolivia Coca-Cola, one of the planet's giant corporations, is to be unceremoniously booted out of Bolivia. The announcement was made by Bolivian Minister of External Affairs, David Choquehuanca, who stated that the date chosen, December 21, coincides with the end of the cycle in the Mayan Calendar, the end of capitalism and the start of a culture of life.

Under Occupation: Toronto G20 Operation Full movie

Robin Hood tax advert  2 min. video. A Robin Hood Tax on banks’ financial transactions could raise hundreds of billions of pounds to fight poverty, protect public services and tackle climate change, according to a campaign launched by an unprecedented coalition of domestic charities, aid agencies, unions, faith organisations and green groups.

Endocrine Disruptors in the Workplace: Women, Plastics and Breast Cancer Webinar, Wed. Sept. 12, 11 a.m. to noon, EST

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in