[homeles_ot-l] FW: Homeless for the holidays

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Fri Dec 21 12:15:19 EST 2007

With thanks to Michael Shapcott . . .

   _____

From: hhno-on at povnet.org [mailto:hhno-on at povnet.org]
Sent: December 21, 2007 10:13 AM
To: Michael Shapcott
Subject: Homeless for the holidays

With grateful acknowledgement to Clement Clarke Moore,

whose poem "Twas the night before Christmas" provided the

inspiration for this more contemporary rendering,

here is a holiday greeting to one and all:

’T WAS the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;

The landlord had hung the eviction notice with care,

In hopes that the tenants would soon be outa there;

The children were nestled all snug ‘neath the park bench,

Shivering through the chill, their teeth in a clench,

Dear mamma was at the soup kitchen, and I with the kids,

We’d just settled into another night on the skids;

When out in the park there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from the bench to see what was the matter.

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But a handful of police, with a cruiser to steer,

“Move along, move along, move along, now,”

They whistled and shouted, with a bristlin’ of brow;

And then in a twinkling, I heard a loud call,

“Housing for everyone, housing for all”;

I saw the UN Special Rapporteur proclaim with a jolly great call,

“It’s really quite simple: policy, funding, programs and all”;

And I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,

“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night.”

-          Michael

* * *

Michael Shapcott

Director of Community Engagement

The Wellesley Institute

45 Charles Street East, #101

Toronto, ON, Canada M4Y 1S2

Tel. - 416-972-1010, x231

Mobile - 416-605-8316

Fax - 416-921-7228

www.wellesleyinstitute.com

Thanks,

Lynne

Lynne Browne
Coordinator, Alliance to End Homelessness
147 Besserer Street, Ottawa ON  K1N 6A7
613-241-7913 x 205, lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca

Checked by AVG Free Edition.