[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: World Day to Overcome Extreme Poverty, October 17th/ATD Fourth World

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 15:24:11 EDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diego Arizala (ATD Fourth World) <atdcanada at qc.aira.com>
Date: 13-Jul-2007 15:22
Subject: World Day to Overcome Extreme Poverty, October 17th/ATD Fourth
World
To: inconnus <destinataires>

 Montreal, July 13th, 2007.

Dear friend,

We were in touch with you for October 17th 2006, the World Day to Overcome
Extreme Poverty, recognized by the United Nations as the International Day
for the Eradication of poverty.

October 17th 2007 will be special, as the World Day will have 20 years of
history.  On this day in 1987, Joseph Wresinski, who was himself born in a
very poor family and was the founder of the International Movement ATD
Fourth World, inaugurated a Commemorative Stone, in Paris, in honor of the
victims of extreme poverty. It contains this message:  *"Wherever men and
women are condemned to live in extreme poverty, human rights are violated.
To come together to ensure that these rights are respected is our solemn
duty." *

Currently, and like every year, there are individuals and groups in many
provinces in Canada and throughout the world who are already organizing
events, inviting the public at large to hear the voice of people living in
poverty and to encourage all citizens to renew their efforts to eradicate
poverty and defend human rights.

*Below this text**, you have the hyperlinks*, in which you can find and
download some suggestions for activities and key information with regards to
the preparation for October 17th 2007. This information is also available in
French.  We would like to encourage you to support the initiative « Call to
Action: Ending Extreme Poverty, a Road to Peace » which was proposed at the
end of the International Seminar on the impact of October 17th, in May 2006.

Please keep us informed about your preparations for October 17th this year.
As every year, we will post these events taking place across Canada and all
over the world on the official website of the Day:  www.oct17.org

Don't hesitate to contact us for further information or if you would like to
share or discuss with us what you are thinking of doing. We are always happy
to be in touch and continue dialoguing with you.

Have a happy summer,

Yours sincerely,

Diego Arizala and Bert Luyts

For ATD Fourth World Movement Canada

----

*Activities proposed and useful information for October 17th 2007:*

*1. Activities proposed:*

* *

*- Signing the Call to Action:*  *Ending Extreme Poverty, a Road to Peace:*

It is an international campaign to encourage solidarity with disadvantaged
people.

The originality of this campaign is to combine the expression of a personal
commitment to fight against poverty and the demands addressed to the UN and
governments. You can sign until October 17th.  In Canada,
AmnistyInternational, Make Poverty History Campaign, Campaign 2000,
the Collective
for a Poverty-Free Quebec and CAN (Community Advocates Network) from Nova
Scotia are supporting the campaign.

*You can sign on line and invite others to do so too at :* www.oct.org or
www.atdfourthworld.ca

*Children can also participate, sending messages to Tapori : www.tapori.org*

* *

*See a video presenting this Campaign and the international mobilization of
**October 17th 2007** at*:

*http://www.atd-fourthworld.org/Video-presentation-of-the-October.html*

* *

*Flash info (Audio) of the Campaign and **October 17th 2007**:
http://www.atd-fourthworld.org/Flash-no5-27th-of-june.html*

* *

* *

*-Making Banners:*

These banners will symbolise the link between people of all walks of life
who wish to know and meet one another, and contribute in the fight against
poverty. When people come and work together, they go a step further…they
pave the way for peace.  The banners can be used locally or they can be
exchanged between different places and countries .

*See technique card: *http://www.atdfourthworld.ca/MAKING_BANNERS.pdf**

*-Making Silhouettes :*

* For children :*

Activity for children between 6 and 12 years old. As a part of the Campaign
« Tapori » Listen to us and we'll change the world!" ; Children can make a
silhouette after reading the story of «  Ono and Rene », about a friendship
which is stronger than exclusion.

*For further information and  guidelines:*
http://www.tapori.org/site/-2006-Tapori-Campaign-.html

*Note that another activity for children is " creating  October 17th", an
educational activity kit for teachers, facilitators of schools, and for
primary children.** You can request it sending an e-mail to us indicating
your post address at* atdcanada at qc.aira.com

*For adults :*

This activity is useful:

  - For those who want to say what they are living through and what

 they do on a daily basis to fight poverty.

  - To express publicly our will to unite in our fight against poverty.

  - For those who want to say what they have seen of and heard from

  their neighbors, friends, or family living in poverty.

  - For those who are unable to participate in our activities

  but who insist on making themselves heard.

  - For those who are too shy to express themselves verbally and would like
to make their     voices heard.  Anonymously—on a wall, on a backboard, or
simply by carrying their message in silence.

*See technique card: *
http://www.atdfourthworld.ca/2007_E_Silhouettes_Adults.pdf

* *

*-What others have done for October 17th ?… What you can do?:*

http://www.oct17.org/What-you-can-do.html

* *

*-Make Poverty History Events for October 17th:   . *

This year, the Make Poverty History campaign will once again mobilise large
numbers to set a Guinness World Record for the most number of people to
Stand Up and Speak Out Against Poverty in 24 hours.* *

*Stay tune for further information at: www.makepovertyhistory.ca*

*-To mobilise, posters *(11`x 17`) with the logo of the World Day to
Overcome Extreme Poverty are also available. 3 posters for 1$ or 20 posters
for 5$.  You can order them now at:  atdcanada at qc.aira.com

* *

* *

* *

*2. Useful Information*:

*- Summary of the Annual Pan-Canadian Evaluation Meeting of **October 17th2006
**.  This bilingual meeting was held on  **January** 26th , 2007** with 40
people from 4 provinces. It is free, and* *you can request it sending an
e-mail to us at* atdcanada at qc.aira.com

*- Synthesis Document of a Deepening Process on October 17th in **Canada**:*
http://www.atdfourthworld.ca/Synthesis_Document_of_a_Deepening_process.pdf

*- See the video presenting October 17th, and the international mobilisation
for **October 17th 2007**  "**Ending Extreme Poverty, a Road to Peace" :
http://www.atd-fourthworld.org/Video-presentation-of-the-October.html*

*- Flash info (Audio). News about October 17th: *
http://www.atd-fourthworld.org/Flash-no5-27th-of-june.html

*- History of October 17th :* http://www.oct17.org/History.html

*- Meaning of October 17th:*
http://www.oct17.org/Charter-for-the-World-Day-to.html

*- **Canada** and world calendar events on **October 17th   2005**, 2006 and
2007:*

 http://www.oct17.org/agenda.php3?id_rubrique=15&id_article=57&lang=en

*ATD **Fourth World** Movement **Canada***

*6747, **Drolet Street***

*Montréal (Qc) H2S 2T1*

*Tel : 514 - 279 0468*

*Fax :  514 – 279 7759*

*E-mail:  **atdcanada at qc.aira.com***

*www.atdfourthworld.ca***

*www.oct17.org***

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a