[homeles_ot-l] UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Adequate Housing talks with Ottawa homeless people Oct. 11th

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Wed Oct 10 14:23:46 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow, Miloon Kothari, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Adequate
Housing, will be in our community and will have the opportunity to speak
with people who are homeless or have experienced inadequate housing. Members
of the Alliance have coordinated this aspect of his time here in Ottawa and
we’ve just sent out the media release below.

We have also provided the Special Rapporteur with a number of questions (see
attached). We requested that he consider asking them of the federal or
provincial officials that he will also be meeting on this tour.

Lynne

Lynne Browne
Coordinator, Alliance to End Homelessness
147 Besserer Street, Ottawa ON  K1N 6A7
613-241-7913 x 205, lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca

MEDIA RELEASE – October 10, 2007

UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Adequate Housing talks with Ottawa
homeless people Oct. 11th

Miloon Kothari, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Adequate Housing,
appointed by the UN Commission on Human Rights in 2000, will be in Ottawa on
Oct. 11 & 12, 2007. On the 11th, he will spend several hours speaking with
people who experience homelessness and inadequate housing in Ottawa.

This stop in Ottawa is part of a national tour visiting in Montreal,
Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto. In addition to community-based groups, Mr.
Kothari will be meeting with federal and provincial housing and homelessness
officials and national organizations. The Special Rapporteur will release a
preliminary report on his Canadian mission at a national press conference
when he returns to Ottawa on October 22.

“The Alliance to End Homelessness is very pleased that Mr. Kothari wishes to
speak directly with homeless people.” said Mary-Martha Hale, Chair of the
coalition with 70+ agency members. “He’ll begin the day at Centre 454, a
downtown drop-in Day Program, then visit several Ottawa shelters, including,
the Shepherds of Good Hope Emergency Shelter, its Managed Alcohol Program
and Hope Outreach Program; Cornerstone/Le Pilier Women’s Shelter, and the
Youth Services Bureau’s Young Men’s Emergency & Transitional Housing
Shelter.”

“We know the mission is interested in identifying practical solutions and
best practices,” said Ms Hale, “so we also arranged for him to talk with
low-income families about housing issues during a visit to the Debra Dynes
Community House and to learn about non-profit housing developments run by
the Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation (CCOC).”

While in the country, the Special Rapporteur will examine and report on how
well Canada is progressing in establishing the right to adequate housing and
other related rights. He will be paying particular attention to four issues:

*	Homelessness (causes, affected groups and solutions);
*	Adequate housing of indigenous peoples;
*	Women and adequate housing; and
*	The impact of mega-events on adequate housing (the upcoming 2010
Olympic Games in Vancouver).

- 30 -

To arrange interviews or for further information, please contact:

         Lynne Browne, Cell 613-513-6647

         Coordinator, Alliance to End Homelessness

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:43 AM