[homeles_ot-l] Harper rapped over 'disgraceful' housing (SCATHING ASSESSMENT). By BEN SPENCER, SUN MEDIA.

lj1967 at sympatico.ca lj1967 at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 16 18:28:03 EDT 2008

Harper rapped over 'disgraceful' housing.
By BEN SPENCER, SUN MEDIA.

     <http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/36ff/3/0/*/n;204379258;8-0;0;22066331;4307-300/250;27306606/27324485/1;;~sscs=?http://clk.atdmt.com/HBS/go/cnxxxacq0110000126hbs/direct/01/>
It wasn't exactly stand-up comedy at its best, but they made their point.

About 30 protesters yesterday gathered outside Toronto Community Housing Corp.'s office at Yonge St. and Davenport Rd. to voice their disgust with the federal government's "neglect" of affordable housing.

They called on "Harperdini," a play on Prime Minister Stephen Harper, to perform a magic act that would make billions in funding disappear.

For Edward Lantz, a member of Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), this is no laughing matter.

Lantz, the organizer of yesterday's protest, says Ottawa's lack of support for affordable housing is disgraceful.

He scoffed at the government's claim that a national strategy is already in place, arguing it had significantly cut its spending in recent years.

SCATHING ASSESSMENT

ACORN issued a scathing report card on the state of affordable housing, just days after an Ontario Human Rights Commission report demanded the federal government implement a national housing strategy.

"If they don't do this we are going to have more people living in the street, without question," Lantz said.

"The waiting list for public housing is already backed up seven years, so we need action now."

ACORN members presented a letter to TCHC staff asking for their support in lobbying the federal government for a "meaningful" national strategy.

Lynne Yelich, parliamentary secretary for human resources and social development, said earlier this week the federal government is investing billions nationally in affordable housing and homelessness.

If there is a problem, it lays with the provinces, Yelich said.

-30-

Tuitio ad servitium pauperum -- Breath & Shadow:

"Canada is not a country for the cold of heart or the cold of feet."
~ Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

"I sit on a person's back, choking them and making them carry me, and yet I assure myself and others that I am very sorry for them and wish to ease their lot by all possible means -- except by getting off their back." ~ Leo Tolstoy.

Live to make a Just Society every day -- Ne lache pas!