[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: Para Service Scheduled To Get Worse!

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 23:58:04 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Catherine Gardner <catherinegardner at magma.ca>
Date: Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 11:48 PM

 *For Immediate Release*

Para Transpo riders, family members, service organizations beware! Para
Transpo service is scheduled to get worse!

It is my understanding from a number of drivers that the next booking for
drivers which is scheduled to kick in a couple of weeks, will see anywhere
from 20 to 45 runs being cancelled and that a number of drivers are being
laid off for at least the summer. It is my understanding from drivers that
some runs have anywhere between 20 and 30+ rides per day!

It is also my understanding from a number of drivers that many of the
drivers being kept on were unable to book summer holidays and that some have
had to go part time in order to avoid working weekends!

One driver stated that at least 11 drivers were told Wednesday that there
was no work available for them!  How can this be when many of us cannot get
bookings!

Passengers are missing work, medical appointments and other outings due to
the high demand yet instead of Para increasing service they are reducing the
service even farther!

In January, Councillor Cullen informed me that there was going to be a full
review of Para services at the Transit committee in May or June, yet last
month it was not on the Transit Committee Agenda and I have just found out
that the Transit Committee meeting for June has been cancelled!
http://www.ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/docs.pl?Elist=9929&lang=en

At the March 31st Open House Pat Larkin told riders that we would have the
results of the feedback within a couple of weeks, It is now over 2 months
and we have heard nothing except from drivers that service is scheduled to
get worse!

On May 30th I sent a letter to Pat Larkin, Alain Mercier and cc'd to Transit
Committee Members asking for confirmation on a number of issues including
the service reduction, lay offs, and tire pressure being reduced on the vans
due to complaints of rough rides.  To this date I have had no response!

Para Transpo is not a seasonal job!  It is an essential service and a life
line for many!

If you are a Para rider, family member or service organizer who maybe
affected by Para service please contact your City Councillor and the media
and voice your concerns!

Catherine Gardner

Community Advocate / Freelance Photojournalist

www.catherinegardner.ca

(613) 726-3609 (Voice / TTY)

[image: Photo of Young Buck]

Click Here To View More of My Photos <http://www.pbase.com/catherinegardner>

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a