[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: 25 in 5 response on consultation

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Fri May 2 16:18:46 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 25in5 <25in5 at cspc.toronto.on.ca>
Date: Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM
Subject: 25 in 5 response on consultation
To: mmary at cspc.toronto.on.ca

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – document attached.

*
Poverty consultations must lead to real change *

*TORONTO**, May 2* – Advocates are calling on the Ontario government to move
beyond closed sessions and ensure an open, inclusive and solutions-oriented
process as the province begins consultations for its Poverty Reduction
Strategy.

"Too many Ontarians who have been shut out need this opportunity to be
heard, and we expect the Province to make low-income voices a priority in
their consultations. But we will know that government really means business
when we see the voices of those living in poverty front and center in these
discussions," said Pat Capponi of the 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction
and a low-income advocate with Voices from the Street.

The 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction is calling on the Ontario
government to commit to reducing poverty by 25 per cent in the next five
years.  It issued an open letter to all MPPs earlier this week calling for a
bold public consultation process that leads to real, tangible change in
tackling poverty. 25 in 5 expects that the process will include:

A focus on solutions that address the realities of all Ontarians living in
poverty, not only children

Meetings that are open and accessible to the public, and include those
groups, communities and individuals who are most marginalized

Consultation that is properly funded and resourced

Consultations are recorded and those reports are made public in a timely
manner

"We need this government to articulate a plan that sees every Minister and
every MPP working harder than ever to bring Ontarians together for a real
plan for poverty reduction," said Peter Clutterbuck of the Social Planning
Network of Ontario and a partner of the 25 in 5 Network.

"This government has been given the benefit of the doubt so far. Now
communities across this province are mobilized, ready, and eager to have
their say. Now it's government's turn to make an open process a reality"
said Andalee Adamali of 25 in 5 and the Council of Agencies Serving South
Agencies.  "We will be watching and tracking the consultation process
closely."

The 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction will bring to the consultations a
three-pronged action plan to combat poverty that requires significant new
action. The plan focuses on ensuring that jobs pay living wages, achieving
liveable incomes for every Ontarian, and strategies to expand access to
affordable housing, early learning and child care, public education and
other community programs that help people connect.

The 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction is a province-wide Ontario
coalition of over 100 organizations and individuals calling for a 25 per
cent reduction in poverty in five years. For more information, and to view
25 in 5's Principles for Consultation: www.25in5.ca

Media contact: Alissa Von Bargen, Community Social Planning Council of
Toronto, 416-351-0095 x214, cell: 647-230-9164 e-mail:
avonbargen at cspc.toronto.on.ca

-30-

Alissa Von Bargen

Communications Officer

Community Social Planning Council of Toronto

2 Carlton Street, Suite 1001

Toronto, ON   M5B 1J3

T: 416-351-0095 ext. 214

F  416-351-0107

E: avonbargen at cspc.toronto.on.ca

W: www.socialplanningtoronto.org

Checked by AVG.
8:02 AM

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a