[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: {ODSPAction} Calling all ODSP AC members - It's time for ACTION!!

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Wed May 7 19:43:23 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dana Milne <milned at lao.on.ca>
Date: Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:17 PM
Subject: {ODSPAction} Calling all ODSP AC members - It's time for ACTION!!
To: odspaction at googlegroups.com, odspaction-announce at googlegroups.com

 From the flurry of emails and media reports, you can't have missed it. The
Ontario Government has begun its poverty reduction consultations. That means
there's no better time than NOW to get out our message that people with
disabilities shouldn't have to live in poverty. Even though the government
has said its strategy is going to focus on child poverty initially, we know
that's not good enough! Consultations will only be happening til the end of
June, so let's get out there!!

*Government Consultations*
**
Deb Matthews, chair of the Cabinet Committee on Poverty Reduction, will be
holding closed-door, invite-only roundtable discussions in communities
across the province but that's no reason to give up. Neither Lisa Jamieson
nor Terrie Meehan (members of the ODSP Action Coalition) were invited to
Matthews' round-table discussion in Ottawa this Friday but after talking
with Matthews' staff at a meeting today, they agreed to meet with a group of
low-income people who will be discussing how to end poverty this Saturday.
Way to go Ottawa!

Anti-poverty activists in Peterborough and Cobourg also mobilized to ensure
at least some low-income people were included in the minister's last-minute
roundtable discussions there on Monday.

*Speak up!*

Besides Matthews' meetings, MPPs are also being encouraged to organize
consultations or meet with constituents in their community. Individuals can
also offer their ideas for reducing poverty by logging on to the
government's new poverty reduction website at:
http://www.growingstronger.ca/en/index.html.

The Social Planning Network of Ontario is also organizing public
consultations in several communities and these will be open to everyone.
Other provincial groups may also organize public consultations. For
up-to-date infomation: www.povertywatchontario.ca.

*New Poverty Reduction section on ODSP AC Website*

For more information on how to ensure people with disabilities get
consulted, check out the ODSP Action Coalition's website: www.odspaction.ca.
There is a new Poverty Reduction section with information on where the
government's consultations will be held, who is on the government's Cabinet
Committee on Poverty Reduction, and tips for getting a meeting with your
MPP.

*Download the ODSP AC MPP Lobby Kit*

The MPP Lobby kit includes templates for getting a meeting with your MPP, a
lobbying tipsheet and ODSP-related questions to ask. Check it out:
www.odspaction.ca. Click on the "MPP Lobby Kit now available" link.

*ODSP Demands and Backgrounders now available*

The ODSP Action Coalition's pamphlet, key demands and newly revised
backgrounders on OW/ODSP rates, employment earnings and the Ontario Child
Benefit are all available as part of the MPP Lobby Kit: www.odspaction.ca.

The results of the Access Committee's survey is now also available and has
useful information on the accessibility issues facing people on ODSP and the
kinds of changes needed to ensure people with disabilities can live with
dignity. Go to www.odspaction.ca and click on "Access Committee Survey
Results".

We only have a couple of months folks, so let's get out there!!

-- Dana Milne
   on behalf of the ODSP Action Coalition's Media and Lobbying Committee

PS: Thank-you to the ODSP Action Coalition's Media and Lobbying Committee
for compiling these resources and to the Website Committee for getting
everything up on the website.

Dana Milne
Provincial Organizer
Income Security Advocacy Centre