[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: Idea of new Housing Benefit being proposed for low-income renters

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:00:32 EST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dana Milne (ISAC) <milned at lao.on.ca>
Date: Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:45 PM
Subject: Idea of new Housing Benefit being proposed for low-income renters
To: odspaction at googlegroups.com, odspaction-announce at googlegroups.com

 Hi folks... The Daily Bread Food Bank, along with several housing groups,
came out with a report yesterday that calls for the government to create a
housing benefit that would go to all low-income working age adults paying
more than 30% of their income on rent. Similar to the Ontario Child
Benefit, people that meet the income requirements would qualify whether
on social assistance or working. The press release mentions that the benefit
would be about $103/month and would diminish as people's incomes increased.

Below are links to a story and editorial that the Toronto Star did on
the proposal. There is also a link to the news release put out by the
coalition of groups, which links to the full report, if you want more
information.

- Star article: http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/538091

- Star editorial: http://www.thestar.com/article/537471

- Press release:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2008/17/c9193.html

While different from the ODSP Action Coalition's demands, it appears this
proposal would mean a signficant increase for people on ODSP who are paying
more than 30% of their income on rent. I think it is something we should
discuss when we're reviewing our own demands and strategies in the coming
year. At the very least, it will be an idea that's out there that we will
need to be able to respond to with the media and in meetings with MPPs.

- Dana

Dana Milne
Provincial Organizer
Income Security Advocacy Centre
425 Adelaide St. W., 5th Floor
Toronto, ON M5V 3C1
Tel: 416-597-5820, ext. 5151
Toll-free: 1-866-245-4072

Fax: 416-597-5821
Email: milned at lao.on.ca
Website: www.incomesecurity.org

"ODSPAction-Announce" group.
odspaction-announce+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com<odspaction-announce%2Bunsubscribe at googlegroups.com>
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.ca/group/odspaction-announce?hl=en

Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a
participant." June Callwood
Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and
renders the present inaccessible.  Maya Angelou