[homeles_ot-l] New FW: Centre 454 website

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Mon Nov 24 16:09:45 EST 2008

FYI…ynne Browne

147 Besserer Street, Ottawa, ON K1N 6A7
HYPERLINK "mailto:lbrowne at ysb.on.ca"lbrowne at ysb.on.ca,  613-241-7913 ext 205

www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca

Winner of United Way/Centraide Ottawa’s 2008 Community Builder of the Year
Award

Media Release

Centre 454 Launches New Website November 6, 2008

centre454.ca

Support for the Homeless Continues to Grow

Centre 454, since 1954 one of Ottawa’s longest-serving social service
providers, took another step today to increase supports for those in our
community most in need.

“We provide a safe and vital gathering place in our community, 7 days a week
for people who are homeless or on low-incomes”, said Mary-Martha Hale,
Director of Centre 454. “But now, we are doing more to get out our message.”

Centre 454 is a non-profit, spiritually founded and based multi-service
centre in the heart of Ottawa’s ByWard Market. Its Day Program provides
practical, emotional and spiritual support to all in need through
counseling, education, outreach, advocacy, referral, crisis intervention and
recreation. Now, access to these services - and more - will be made easier
via the Internet.

“We’ve grown to a population of over 300 people each day,” said Ms. Hale
“and the pressures of downtown development mean we are quickly losing public
spaces for people to gather.”

“Now the Centre will also directly serve its neighbours and the Ottawa
community via the internet,” she said.

“centre454.ca” offers a way in to linking with a diversity of community
resources. Many in Ottawa need assistance with the daily necessities of life
that most people take for granted, including access to telephones, showers,
hygiene supplies, laundry facilities, newspapers, and mail and telephone
message support. In-Reach by community partners offer housing, health, legal
and literacy support.

Website features are also dedicated to those looking to embark on new
directions in their lives and need access to counseling services for support
related to physical and mental health, addictions, housing, interpersonal
relationships, legal matters, or harm reduction support.

Go to centre454.ca to find out: who we are, our values, whom we serve, what
we do and what you can do too. Or for further information, contact:

                             Mary-Martha Hale, Director

                             Tel:  613-235-4351 ext. 227

                             Email:  mmhale at ottawa.anglican.ca

Since 1954, Anglican Social Services - Centre 454 has provided services to
homeless and vulnerable members of our community through weekday drop-in and
counseling services in the Lowertown, Sandy Hill, Vanier and Centretown
areas of Ottawa. As a Community Ministry of the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa
and a City of Ottawa Day Program, Centre 454 has funding from private
donors, the City of Ottawa Community Funding Division and Service Canada as
well as from United Way/Centraide Ottawa.

Sue Davies

Office Manager

Anglican Social Services Centre 454

216 Murray Street